Craftsman Keypad Doesn't Work or Stay Lit

Old 12-05-15, 11:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Keypad Doesn't Work or Stay Lit

When it rains, it pours. I have a problem with a car some kind people are helping me with in another of these forums and now I have an issue with the garage door opener on the house I'm trying to sell, a thousand miles away.

Before we get to it, I should confess my failings.

It's a cement block detached garage with no other entrance. Short of another answer, we could break a pane and see if the window I've never used will open, but I'm not quite there yet and am hoping something else can be done.

The movers were much faster than I anticipated and though I set aside the manuals, it appears they got packed into a box I've yet to open. The same appears to be true about the garage door remotes because the fellow who is helping me said they weren't in the kitchen cabinet.

This means that I don't have access to the "learn" button (if there's one on my model). This is doubly true because though I have a guy who has been doing some repair work and maintaining the place, I'm a thousand miles away. I also don't know the model number and the manuals I've found online don't make it appear to be visible from the back.

All I have right now is that they're Craftsman and there are two doors operating off of the same keypad. By proxy, I also have access to the power supply breaker for the garage.

Now to the problem...

The other day I had a contractor stop by to give me a price on some work I'd like done. I gave him the code for one of the doors, as I had two previous contractors without issue, but he said it wouldn't open and as we were talking on the phone, he said the keys would not light.

I checked the online interface for the electric company and there were no reported outages, so I said it must be the battery and I'd get the handyman who has been helping me to change it over the weekend.

He went today, changed the battery and tried the code for both doors, neither of which worked. A quick check of the internet said that the keypad should retain the codes after a battery change, so I asked him as I did the contractor, whether the buttons were lit. He said they'd light individually as they' are being pushed, but they didn't stay lit. Normally, the keypad would light when you pushed any key and it'd stay lit long enough to punch in the code. This isn't happening now.

By chance does that help anyone diagnose it? Is there anything that be done short of breaking a window? If the keypad was taken from the wall would that give access to an override? Is there anything that could be done using the power supply?

I'm going to keep looking for the remotes, so I can express mail. I've also asked the fellow helping me to go back through the kitchen cabinets.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
If I can get the model number, will it help?

Thanks

Old 12-06-15, 06:36 AM
T
It looks like my edit window has passed, so responding to ask: Any idea what the failure to stay lit indicates? Previously, when things were working right, the keypad would light and stay lit after pushing any key -- I'd start with enter at night to theoretically clear any bad numbers and to light the pad -- it'd light though, even if you entered the completely wrong code. That's not happening here. You press a button, it lights while depressed. That's it and if I'm understanding the man helping me right, it's only that button which lights. Maybe this doesn't mean it needs to learn a new code?

Old 12-06-15, 11:35 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it is not working with a new battery, you do have a problem. Is there more than one code for that opener? I have two codes programmed into mine, so the wife can remember hers - if needed.
If you don't have the correct code, or if the remote if truly bad, you better start digging for your hand held remotes and overnight them to the handyman. A new remote, at this time, is no good because you need to get into the garage to do the programming.
As a wild card, have your handyman check the electric Maybe the panel breaker got flipped for some unknown reason.
Not criticizing but any such door needs a second method of access. If it were mine I would have a key/cable release in place.

Good luck on this and on your car.

Old 12-06-15, 02:21 PM
T
It's a two-car garage, so there are two doors, each with their own code. Neither of them work. This, combined with the keypad light problem, makes me think there's a problem with the keypad.

Your response has now prompted another question: Which device "learns" the codes? I'm thinking that based on where the button is located and the fact that neither of mine work, it's the opener that "learns". If that's the case, would it work to just buy a new keypad? Because the openers know them, could it receive the same codes?

Otherwise, also prompted by your response, I've asked my buddy if he could flip the breaker for the garage on and off, hoping that it'll reset the receivers and I've suggested a couple of ways to make sure the power's on to the garage, including that the openers lights will light when the power blinks.

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid the bust-a-window, but if we have to (and if one of the paned windows is actually designed to be opened), I guess it's what we'll have to do. The garage itself was built fifty years ago, I didn't really have anything to do with the design. Neither of the windows go all the way to the ground, so cutting a door is a little harder than something easy. I thought about it a few times, especially when there was a power outage, but didn't get around to it the six years I owned that house.

Also as a SYK or an FYI: The openers and keypad were installed by the previous owners, so they're ten to around twelve years old.

Again, thanks for any and all help. Without another way in, I've got to get this figured out.

---

It looks like I'm still within my edit window, so edited to add: Reading the reviews on the keypad in stock, I see someone say that they pried theirs apart and cleaned the contacts. The plan now is to try that and if that doesn't work, hopefully via this forum, an online chat with Sears and/or an intensive web search, I'll know whether a replacement keypad would work without access to the actual opener.

In theory, as I said above, the opener knows the code, but it also makes sense that because people put them on townhouses and in cul-de-sacs, the code could be preceded by some kind of digital signature specific to the individual keypad.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

---

2nd Update: I've found the manual. The opener is model number 139.5398511

Last edited by TryAgain; 12-06-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-15, 09:09 PM
M
Those keypads only remember the code for a short while if the battery dies, they don't remember it forever. I'm sure it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer but I know the ones we have say in the instructions that you have 10 minutes after you remove the battery to have it reinstalled and operating for you will lose the codes. That's something you didn't want to hear but definitely a possibility.

Old 12-07-15, 06:19 AM
T
So it's the keypad that learns what the door opener wants? It remembers the code and shouts "open" at the opener, not the other way around? I was hoping that because the "learn" button is on the opener, it's listening for the specific numeric code and you could send it with any device on the right frequency.

Old 12-07-15, 05:54 PM
T
Update: The fellow helping me popped it open and cleaned the contacts.
Reportedly, the Wireless Keyless Entry Pad is now working fine.

Thanks for helping me brainstorm a solution.

Also, I guess I should note for anyone who might find this thread via a search or who are interested: I'm still not certain which side "learns", but from what I've read here and on Wikipedia, the security solution of having a rolling code probably means you can't just replace the keypad with a new one without educating something. I don't know, but I guess you can't just switch them out.

Last edited by TryAgain; 12-07-15 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 06:47 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The opener learns the codes. It usually has a maximum number of codes that it can learn. It can also be erased and the codes re entered. All y0u are doing when you enter a security code on the remote is to tell the remote to send it's code to the opener.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: