Overhead lights not being activated by safety sensors on craftsman opener

Old 12-10-15, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overhead lights not being activated by safety sensors on craftsman opener

Hi all -

Hoping someone might have be able to offer help in troubleshooting & fixing a garage door opener issue.

It's a craftsman chain drive opener, probably about 15 years old.

Overall, the unit works perfectly - with one minor exception. If the door is open and a car rolls in, or someone walks in, breaking the safety sensor beam, it does not activate the lights on the opener. The sensors DO operate correctly otherwise. If something is detected by the sensors as the door is closing, it does stop and reverse the door. Also - the lights do come on if the door is opened or closed by the remote. The separate light button on the remote and wall switch works fine.

Any tips on where to look for the problem on this? Since the sensors are operating as they should otherwise, my suspicion is that the problem is somewhere on a circuit board.

Thoughts - Tips - Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 12-10-15, 02:53 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Did "breaking the beam" used to turn on the lights? I don't know much about door openers but I never heard of one that would turn the lights on when walking through the safety beam.

Old 12-10-15, 04:18 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mine does. Kind of a nice feature actually.

Assuming it used to work, it seems like it has to be the control board since the sensors work otherwise, and the light works otherwise, it almost has to be bad logic on the board.

My only other suggestion is to check the manual and see if they provided a way to turn this feature off. If it's a little dip switch setting it's possible it got jarred or may be dirty and needs to be flipped on and off a few times.

Old 12-10-15, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
You could try this...... from Chamberlain FAQ's.....

Activate the Light Feature

1) Close the garage door.
2) Start with the garage door opener lights "ON".
3) Press and hold the light button for 10 seconds.
(Upon pressing the light button, the lights will immediately turn off and come on 10 seconds later.)

Deactivate the Light Feature

1) Close the garage door.
2) Start with the garage door opener lights "OFF".
3) Press and hold the light button for 10 seconds.
(Upon pressing the light button, the lights will immediately turn on and go off 10 seconds later.)

Old 12-11-15, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJMax - That was right on the money. I just called my daughter and stepped her through the procedure and it now works perfectly. Her side of the garage - she's happy now.

All - Thanks for considering and replying. I'm ashamed that the answer came directly from the manual - or at least a manual from a "sister" unit. I'll have to go back and look more closely at the Craftsman manual, but I sure didn't see it when I looked earlier. Then again - I seem to say that sort of thing more and more often.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-11-15, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
You are very welcome.

Don't be ashamed.... I don't think it's posted in the regular owners manual... although it should be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: