Garage door and car remote not working

Old 12-12-15, 07:34 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door and car remote not working

I noticed this afternoon that the remote openers for both cars in the driveway would not work. The garage door openers as well. A couple of our neighbors are experiencing the same situation. Remote openers will work away from the house. Any idea on what could be causing interference to multiple devices in different homes? Thanks!

Old 12-12-15, 11:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It has been well documented that the newer LED replacement bulbs cause interference that blocks/inhibits the signal from the garage door opener remotes from reaching the garage door openers.

That same issue may affect the car remotes. Have you tried the remotes with the car away from the house..... like in shopping center ?

Old 12-13-15, 12:28 PM
H
Thanks for responding.

Yes, both car remotes work outside of the immediate driveway area. By LED lights, if you mean headlights both of the cars are older and don't have those type of lights.

One of the neighbors' Mercedes car remote works fine but the other American made truck does not.

Old 12-13-15, 12:32 PM
Group Moderator
No..... LED bulbs in the house.... especially in the garage door opener itself.

Old 12-14-15, 06:44 AM
H
OK, I understand now. No LED lights in the garage door opener.

We have now confirmed another nearby neighbor is also experiencing this. I had a friend stop by yesterday and her car remote would not work as well. Something is causing this interference but I have no clue on how to figure out what it is.

Old 12-14-15, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Any new transmitter, TV/radio stations, PCS (cell) towers in the area ?

You could try using a portable AM radio. AM reception is low frequency and is very susceptible to noise and interference.

You may need to try several locations on the dial. You'd want to use a frequency between stations. Inside the house you would normally get higher than normal noise interference. Go outside and walk between houses..... up and down the street. See if there is some type of noise that changes with location.

You'd want a noise that was not heard away from your home. You can walk around and try to pinpoint a source.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: