Updating an older Liftmaster LM1145 (1992)

Old 12-14-15, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Updating an older Liftmaster LM1145 (1992)

last house had newer Chamberlain units that had sensors for ensuring door doesn't close on anything and also where if you walk into the open garage, it triggers the light.

house we just bought has this older Liftmaster. No sensors and only a single pushbutton inside the garage instead of control panel (ie, no way to turn lights on from wall in other words). could I add in some safety sensors? I don't even see where to plug them in. there is some random tan box sitting up above the unit, attached to celling. no idea what that is either. seven looked plugged in.

and can I add a multi-function control panel to replace single button? Or do I just need to buy a new unit that has controls already integrated? if I had to do that....would a newer Chamberlain be able to use older Liftmaster chain/rails?

thanks. photos attached.

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-15, 10:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
That random box plugged in is a power supply..... probably for an alarm system. No idea why it's plugged in at the ceiling.

Your manual...
liftmaster/catalogresourcesv3/en-us/shared/files/manuals/a1297m.pdf

The safety sensor kit is around $40 for that door opener.
The manual shows a #56 multi light controller but I don't see it available anymore. They make several newer controls.... I don't think any are compatible.

It might be best to replace the opener with one with all the features you want. The one you currently have there is fairly old and if hasn't been rebuilt.... it may need to be done soon.

When you replace an opener.... the entire unit..... including bar and chain are replaced.

Old 12-15-15, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks Pete! Yeah, I figured that parts might be an issue. I think a brand new unit can be had for not much more than 100 nowadays. take care