Craftsman Garage Door Opener Travel Adjustment

Old 12-17-15, 08:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Garage Door Opener Travel Adjustment

For the past few weeks I have been having a strange problem with my 1/2 hp MN 139.53962SRT opener. It started when it didn't quite open all the way, it didn't open the last 6" or so. I didn't adjust it right away, but after a week or so, it started bumping the bottom as it closed and reversed. That I couldn't live with so I just adjusted the up/down limits and all was well ... for awhile. Now, every 3 or 4 days, I have to adjust the up/down limits or it fails to open all the way or auto-reverses when it closes.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-15, 09:49 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Did you adjust the force control as well as the limit?

In case you don't have a manual, here is one.

Manual Craftsman Garage door opener 13953962SRT | Sears PartsDirect

Old 12-18-15, 03:36 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have not adjusted the force control, but yesterday after I posted, the garage door touched the bottom, then auto-reversed and stopped about half-way up. I started making big adjustments to the up/down limits and in the process something seized up and main drive gear on the sprocket assembly snapped off on top of the unit. I was able to pick up a replacement at the local Sears parts house and put everything back together.

Although I did not adjust the force control, I did test it and it seemed about right in both the up and down direction. So, maybe the the gears on the bottom of the shaft or on the end of the Limit Switch Assembly weren't engaging correctly. For the time being it seems to be working OK. Before it was getting out of adjustment in a couple of days. Now, after quite a few up/down test cycles, it seems fine. I'll leave the cover off for a few days and keep an eye on it and post a follow-up if the problem resurfaces.

thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: