Liftmaster 2280R won't learn..

Old 01-01-16, 05:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liftmaster 2280R won't learn..

Hi all-
I have a Liftmaster 2280R which has worked great for many years. Recently needed to add a remote. Press the Learn button, and the learn/diagnostic LED above it that is supposed to light up does not, and it will not learn the remote.

- This is a remote that has worked in the past, and regardless, the type of remote should not prevent the learn LED from coming on
- Other remotes continue to work fine
- The learn LED flickers when I used the other remotes, which I think is normal
- The learn LED flashes trouble codes when the door is obstructed, which is normal per the manual.

The learn LED just won't light up when I press the Learn button. The Learn button makes a normal-sounding mechanical "click" when pressed.

I have programmed remotes in the past, this is new behavior.

I tried unplugging the opener for about 15 minutes then re-powering, no change.

Everything else on the opener seems to work fine.

Thoughts? Do I need a new logic board? Am I missing something?

thanks!
Bob

Old 01-01-16, 05:10 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Maybe the learn light is bad. Did you try to continue the process as if the learn light worked?

Old 01-01-16, 05:13 PM
B
I did, no joy. And per my post, the light works under other conditions.
thx
Bob

PS: To be clear, there's only one LED. I've seen it called the learn LED and the manual calls it the diagnostic LED.
thx
Bob

Old 01-02-16, 10:09 AM
B
Talked to Liftmaster..

Called their tech support today, after the usual automated menu selections I got to speak to a nice lady who listened carefully and seemed to understand the issue. She suggested unplugging the unit, when I told her I'd tried that already she put me on hold and did a bit more research. After a couple of minutes she came back and said that due to the age of the unit, it's probably the logic board, and that they are "very expensive." I'd already researched logic boards, they are $62 on Amazon, so I had her confirm the part number for me (she did) and I thanked her and that was it. I was pleased and surprised with their customer service - open on Saturday, US-based, etc.

Logic board ordered, we'll see what that does for my situation.

Regards-
Bob

Old 01-02-16, 10:52 AM
M
Another possibility is that the memory is full for the number of remotes it can remember. Over time when you replace a new one the old ones still stay in memory. There should be instruction on how to completely clear the memory so you can start over setting up all of your remotes.

Old 01-02-16, 11:27 AM
B
Good point. To clear all the remotes, you hold the Learn button down for 6 seconds, until the Learn LED goes out.
The Learn LED is not lighting at all, so not sure if this would do anything, and I have decided to not try holding the button for 6 seconds as it may wipe out all of the working remotes..and then it still won't let me program, so I'd be worse off.
I think I will try clear the remotes once I receive the new logic board, just to see if it helps.
thx
Bob

Old 01-09-16, 11:51 AM
B
Logic board did the trick

Received and installed the new logic board (5 minutes) and the Learn button now works as it should, reprogrammed all my remotes and I am set. Thanks to those who offered suggestions!
Regards
Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: