Genie model 880

Old 01-04-16, 02:36 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Genie model 880

I just got a used garage door opener. Genie model 880. I've tried looking up instructions for this thing but I think I'm finding it for a newer style but same model number. Anyway got it all installed and the wireless receiver works but I can't seem to get the wall button to work. It has 3 terminals for the wires. I tried different combinations. I put the the wall button wires on terminals 1&2 and when I plug the opener in it just opens up right away. And the button doesn't do anything and it's not lit up. If I use terminals 1&3 or 2&3 the button is lit up but doesn't do anything. And the wall button is from a newer unit that was in my garage.

Old 01-05-16, 01:26 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking that this old opener is not compatible with the newer switch that you are trying.

Disconnect the wires to the wall switch and try hooking a short piece of wire to terminal one. Then try touching the other end to either terminal 2 or 3. If the opener operates, you need to replace the wall switch with a simple, NON lit pushbutton. It should be one touch for up and a second touch for down. The illuminated switch is sending a continuous signal which is why the door goes up when plugged in but not down.

Old 01-09-16, 05:44 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I got it working. All I did was remove the led from the wall button and it now works. And I also took out the wireless reciever board out of the other opener and wired that up to it like the old cryptar II box was. And now the newer remotes work with it also. Paid $10 for the opener and paid $0 to get it working.

Old 01-10-16, 01:59 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Good job. The LED was keeping a closed circuit which is why I suggested changing switches. You did it by cutting out the LED.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: