G.C.I. garage doors ?

Old 01-06-16, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Smile G.C.I. garage doors ?

I am considering replacing my 16X7 non hurricane garage door in FL with a hurricane rated door. No name on my door so do not know brand. Local Craigslist ad shows a hurricane rated door for my area for $560 plus tax. No installation or delivery.

This is a G.C.I. door which I have never heard of? Anyone with any knowledge of GCI or can give me tips on the right questions to ask or what to look for when I go to the store?

I've screwed up much bigger projects than this so confident I can install door myself.
Jim

Old 01-06-16, 01:19 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It appears that G C I is in Miami. Here is their toll free number. Give them a call and see if you have a local dealer. Get a brochure and see what you would be getting and the retail price.

Do you have a vehicle to haul 16' sections and is the track and other hardware included in the price?

Old 01-06-16, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the response, there is a dealer in Cape Coral only a couple miles from me. Easy to get home, unless delivery is reasonable.

Track and hardware? Good question! Jim

Old 01-07-16, 02:12 PM
I stopped by the GCI dealer, for $560 I get an uninsulated hurricane zone 5 16X7 garage door with all hardware needed to mount it.

What they have in stock I can have immediately, if I want a different color or pattern there is a 2 week wait. An insulated door would be an additional $200.

They will deliver for $40.

The only other thing I could think to ask was the gauge, which they said was 25 ga.

Now I see I should confirm the radius for the tracks.

Any thoughts on this or any questions I should be asking? Jim

Old 01-07-16, 02:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It probably would be helpful to ask how much each section weighs, that would certainly be helpful when you figure out how you are going to put up alone or how much help you are going to need. 25gauge actually sounds a little light to me but I'm not familiar with the construction of hurricane rated doors. We don't see many of those around here in Louisville.

You might also want to check to see if they have torsion or tension springs. Torsion IMO work better and certainly look better but are dangerous and quite difficult to install and set correctly.

Old 01-07-16, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I think 25Ga is a bit thin as well. Maybe if it metal skinned inside and out along with struts on each panel.

I know the brand I used to sell used lighter gauge on the double skin (24?) and heavier gauge (22?) on the single skin.

Old 01-09-16, 01:44 PM
Garage doors are rather hard to shop for online. Almost no one will mention the gauge of steel. Although 27 gauge seems to be the cheap stuff today. Plus I am interested in hurricane doors for which there is even less info available.

They will say wind guard or hurricane doors, but no technical info? Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: