Replacing old garage door extension springs - stretch length

Old 01-08-16, 11:57 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old garage door extension springs - stretch length

So I've been trying to replace what appear to be the original wear and tear parts on my garage door, and I have a question about replacing the extension springs.

I have an 8ft garage door, and with the door disconnected from everything and in the lowered position, it weighs 140lbs. The compressed length of the springs is 34", and when the garage door is in the closed positions, the springs expand to 80". The diameter of the springs is 2 3/8".

The problem is, when shopping online for springs, the closest spring to my needs is 32" compressed, 48" stretch, 140lb springs.

What should I do? Get the 32"x48" springs, and rerun the pulley cables, since my current cables might not be long enough? I was planning on having the replacement springs on hand, and replacing them when the current ones broke. Now that this might be more involved, I might just replace them ahead of time. I appreciate any advice.

Name:  spring.compressed.jpg
Views: 4604
Size:  35.8 KBName:  spring.expanded.jpg
Views: 3849
Size:  37.9 KBName:  spring.diameter.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  35.2 KB

Old 01-09-16, 07:10 AM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Look around on the ends of the spring, there should be a dab of paint someplace on the spring.
Springs are color coded.
Google "garage door spring color codes"

Old 01-09-16, 08:45 AM
B
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
The 140# x 32" springs will work fine. If you can't make up the 2" difference by lengthening the door cables, you can use 4-6" threaded shepherds hooks at the spring termination at the angle iron supports that also capture the tracks. Place a nut on both sides of the angle iron so you can adjust the spring in or out as needed. You may have to shorten the spring safety cables if the slack causes interference. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: