DIY garage door function restoration

Old 01-15-16, 02:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 10 Posts
DIY garage door function restoration

I have two garage doors at the new place that have all the hardware removed and are bolted to the door jambs, with what looks like same L shaped brackets with holes in them normally used to suspend opener.
Previous owner used that room as daycare. Now I want functional garage back.
I have every piece of hardware, down to the smallest screw, in two boxes, box per door, springs and tracks. Everything. Guy was very neat.
Considering my arms grow out of my shoulders and I have all tools needed, is it reasonable to DIY hardware reinstall so that door goes up and down and then have someone install openers? I can sample install off the third door, functional.

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-16, 02:22 PM
Old 01-15-16, 02:39 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I'd say yes to all except the installation of the torsion springs. Installation manuals are all over the net but those springs will hurt you bad if you don't know what you are doing. I will put in garage doors all day long if they have extension springs, as soon as it is torsion, I call someone else as I don't have the proper tool and I don't want to loose an arm in the process.

Old 01-15-16, 02:45 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Personally, I would do just the opposite of what you're thinking; hire the doors finished and do the openers myself. Openers are not that difficult to install, but the door needs to be operating properly first, and those springs can hurt you bad if you're not familiar with them. And they can finish the tracks in a fraction of the time that you can. Who knows until you ask, but it might not cost much to have them do the openers too as long as they are on site.

Oh, and czizzi types faster than I do.

Old 01-15-16, 03:00 PM
It just seems as such a waste of all the parts and doors available. Maybe I can resell them on craigslist. I had a quote from garage guy yesterday for all 2 NEW doors and openers everything installed and cleaned $2300. Plus tax.
He refused to use old springs, he says after they have been released from tension they will snap if reinstalled.
btw, I actually replaced torsion spring before. Still alive and even have the tightening rods. Was not bad at all. Come to think, done is several times, mine and buddy and in-law.

Old 01-15-16, 03:21 PM
I will help with the rest of the door then and not have my name on the spring.

A lot of the muscle work is already done. Remove the angle brackets and secure the door to the wall with 3 1/2" 16d nails driven into the wood and bent over to hold the door panel. One nail per panel per side. The hinges are already on, all you do is insert the rollers. Bend the vertical track around the rollers and attach to the wall (track is flat on one side, curved on the other just bend it around in the vertical position). Then the horizontal and bolt together. Then it is on to the pulley, cables and springs.

Old 01-15-16, 03:45 PM
Considering doors were functional before and only had hardware removed, Am I safe to presume that tracks are already bent and I simply insert rollers and slide tracks onto them?
I'll try one door and see what happens. As I said, it's just awful waste to do all new. What am I going to do with all that metal afterwards?
I think the only pieces I am missing is opener connectors to the door itself.
Also, this is a two car garage with two doors. Beside it is a single car garage with identical everything and opener. That would have been a mirror job to do then, right? Simply track everything on the functional door and copy/paste to the one we discuss? Doors are identical.

Old 01-15-16, 04:48 PM
I would get a manual online, they are easy to follow so you don't miss a critical step.

Old 01-15-16, 04:59 PM
yep, youtube almighty. Saw some yesterday.

Old 01-15-16, 05:13 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, because I'm sure that you're in good hands with czizzi, and if you find an applicable youtube great, but I suggest doing as he mentioned, and see if you can't come up with an actual manual. The manufacturer most like has them available on their site, and they will take you step by step so you don't miss anything, and more important in my mind, having shaken my head at such things more than a few times, get bad advice from someone who happened to have a video running when they put up their first door.

Old 01-15-16, 05:23 PM
Be fine. Back in my country, there's saying - not only saints make clay pots. That means - it's all done by humans just like me. Not gods. I am intelligent person with good hand skill. Door is already up, which is apparently the most awkward part of the project. Just take time and don't rush and it will all be fine. Same I do at work. Or with cars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: