Detached Garage - Damaged Ridge

Old 01-16-16, 04:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Detached Garage - Damaged Ridge

Description: It's a typical 1 car detached garage. Some had installed dry wall on the walls & the rafters, up to the peak. I opened the door & piece of dry wall fell & hit the roll up door. It was dark so I went back today to see why it fell. My first two thoughts were water or an animal. Wrong. The garage is about 20' long. About 3' from the front, the ridge broke cross ways & dropped a few inches. The only reason that pieces of dry wall fell was because it was hung with roofing nails.

The fix should be fairly simple. My question is what caused the ridge to break?

Old 01-16-16, 05:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Is it like a cathedral ceiling? If there aren't any collar ties I'd suspect the framing might not be stout enough for the weight.

Old 01-16-16, 06:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
http://www.behmdesign.com/images/pro...mb/t5446.1.jpg

That's the basic shape of the garage but it's smaller. There are two or three collar ties in the back half since they can't be near the roll up door. The garage has to be at least 50 years old, so I don't know why the weight would be a problem now.

Old 01-17-16, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
The garage might be 50 yrs old but how long ago was the drywall installed? I assume you ruled out any type of rot in the roof framing.

Old 01-17-16, 05:04 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that the dry wall has been there for at least 30 years. That's how long the current owner has owned the house. She is in Florida ATM. I left a message for her yesterday but haven't heard from her yet. So far, I haven't seen any rot. I have to remove some more dry wall, to be sure. The shingles are in great shape.

Old 01-18-16, 06:53 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Roof

I suspect a spliced ridge board, but not spliced properly. We will wait for the photos.

Old 01-18-16, 07:30 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I went to Home Depot & I found some heavy duty brackets made by Simpson Strong Tie. I tried to jack up the ridge but it didn't return to it's original position. I mounted 3 of them where the rafters & the ridge meet. I installed a 4th bracket where the ridge meets the front of the garage. I don't think the ridge was spliced but I'll never know because, I'm not going to remove the rest of the dry wall which BTW has been there for at least 34 years.

The garage was leaning a little. Someone had tried to straighten it some years ago. I see a crack in the slab which tells me that there was some shifting. It's about a 1/4 bubble off.

Old 01-18-16, 02:50 PM
M
I don't understand how you could install the brackets on the reach beam without completely removing the sheet rock and exposing the beam. Would you mind posting some pictures to show us what you did.

Old 01-18-16, 02:59 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't mind posting pics but I don't know when I will be there next. I removed the sheet rock where the ridge broke. That was all I needed. It broke at the first set of rafters, from the door.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: