Genie garage door opener problem

Old 01-16-16, 09:12 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Genie garage door opener problem

My 13 year old Genie garage door opener stopped working. Being that it is 13 years old I probably be better off to buy a new one but the Bank of Monkster is low on funds. I am attaching a video link. It has never given me any trouble until now.

Old 01-16-16, 09:15 PM
F
For some reason I cant post a link to my YouTube video. I tried clicking the link icon and putting the URL in and it takes me to a blank page. Maybe this will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Si5h3QIZYI&google_comment_id=z12xiv4ysqrysvoo004chfyhzlb5ctpz3mw0k&google_view_type#gpluscomments

Last edited by PJmax; 01-16-16 at 10:52 PM. Reason: fixed video link
Old 01-16-16, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What exactly did it stop doing? What model opener? Screw drive, chain drive? Does the motor run but nothing happens? No response when a button is pushed? Written info can be just as good (sometimes better than a shaky video).

Parts can often be very cheap depending on the problem, repair depends on your skill set.

Old 01-16-16, 10:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
fixed your link for you.

Your motor is frozen/stalled. It will require you to get some one there to remove the access cover to check the motor out. There are rebuilding kits available for many openers. I don't know if yours is one of them.

Old 01-17-16, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Could be a capacitor....but yeah might be the motor. Cheap parts online but labor will suck since you can't diy. Got a handy friend?

Old 01-22-16, 11:25 PM
F
re

Hi All, sorry it took so long to check back in. I have a Genie Series ISL. For starters I have never had any problem with the opener until now. The house was built in 2003 so the opener is 13 years old. It just stopped working. The problem did not start a few weeks ago and the opener finally quit working. It was working perfectly then it just quit. I opened the door and backed out of the garage. I pushed the button on my remote and the door came about half way closed then reversed itself and the door went back to fully open. I pushed the button a second time, the same thing happened again. So I am thinking something fell against the door and caused it not to close. I get out of the car and nothing was keeping it from closing all the way. I went to the switch on the wall and pushed it to close the door. It went half way down again then stopped. It would not go up or down. I pulled the manual open cord and disengaged the trolley. When I push the wall button or the remote button, the opener makes a sound then stops. It is a screw type opener. It sounds like the screw is frozen and will not turn. I was wondering it there is a bearing at the motor housing or out on the end of the screw that could be frozen. If you watch the video you can hear it try to start. The trolley is still released so the door can manually be opened by hand. I have a feeling I am about to buy a new garage door opener. I have a friend stopping by tomorrow (Sat) to look at it. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-23-16, 01:35 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Before you buy a new opener - unless you love to spend money - here are a few things to check.
1. Are both the red and green door sensor lights on steady?
2. Check wiring for a loose or shorted low voltage wire.
3. Check the limit switches on the rail. they are super cheap and tend to cause problems. You can usually wipe the oxidation from the leaf switch with fine sandpaper or similar.
4. The motor is coupled to the screw by a plastic collar. These tend to wear and cause problems. The coupler is less than $10 and can be replaced with the opener in position. I think 4 nuts to be removed and the rail and screw separates from the motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: