Garage Door Opener Problem (even after replacing battery)

Old 01-18-16, 04:08 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Garage Door Opener Problem (even after replacing battery)

I have been experiencing trouble with my garage door opener for a long time (many months, if not a year or two). The problem is that it doesn't respond when I click the button on the opener in my car. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes, I have to actually get out of the car and walk up closer to the garage door in order for it to work.

So, today, I went out and bought a new battery (CR2032) for it. However, after replacing the battery with a new, good one, it's still doing the same thing.

If it's not a battery problem, what could possibly be causing it to act like this?

The garage door opener is >10 years old. It's a Chamberlain.

Any ideas of what to check, or anything else?

Old 01-18-16, 06:26 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have more than one remote? If so, does the other remote work properly?
If not or no second remote, look to the receiver. There should be an antenna wire coming out of the opener. Does it hang down and is it at least 6" long? You can make up a homemade parabolic reflector for the antenna, which should increase your range. I believe Pilot Dane first put it on the site.
I will see if I can dig it up.

Old 01-18-16, 06:59 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I may be totally wrong here but I recall reading that people that have used CFL bulbs in the opener light sockets have experienced greatly reduced range for the remote control. Removing the CFL and going back to a standard (garage door rated) incandescent bulb returns the range on the remote.

So, IF you have installed a CFL bulb try removing it and see what happens. I know of no scientific basis for this, just something I remember reading.

Old 01-19-16, 05:54 PM
H
Doh! Yep, there is another controller. I will give it a try from within the same vehicle as the one having problems and see how it does.

If I'm going to go so far as to buy or create a parbolic miror for this thing, I'll just buy one of the new kind that can be connected to the home automation system, etc.

Old 01-19-16, 05:57 PM
H
OK, thanks.
I don't think I even have a single CFL left int he house. We recently went through and changed a bunch over to LED (There are a few Incandescents left). Is there any chance the LEDs could be interfering in the same way?

What about WiFi, Z-Wave, Zigbee, Bluetooth or other (I have multiples of all of those I just listed and more; including WiFi, Z-Wave and Zigbee and Bluetooth in the garage)?

Old 01-19-16, 07:01 PM
C
I have read reports of LED bulbs interfering with remotes, causing reduced range, so it's worth removing the bulbs for a test.

Anything that generates RF (pretty much all those things you listed) is a potential source of interference. Most GD remotes operate in 200-400 MHz range, and while things like WiFI are much higher in frequency, the truth is that most GD receivers aren't very sophisticated and can be overloaded by a strong nearby RF signal even if it is different in frequency. But I'd try the bulbs first, since they are so close to the receiver.

Old 01-19-16, 09:27 PM
H
Now that I screwed my head on the right way, I can take the light bulbs out of the mix...
They're never on when I get home and try to use this thing. So, unless they're still sending out some kind of signal even when they're off (these aren't 'smart' bulbs; just plain, old, dimmable LED light bulbs) that I don't know about, they can't possibly be the problem.

Oh wait.....is it when I come home or when I'm leaving when the problem is the worst?.....I will check on this (including removing the bulbs from the opener altogether) and report back...

Old 01-20-16, 07:56 AM
C
You're right...the bulbs can't cause interference when they are not on.

Old 01-20-16, 12:44 PM
H
OK, now I have one test session to report back about...

When I came back home after running an errand this morning, I clicked the remote button while still out in the street (and while the lights on the opener weren't on yet), and it opened just fine.

Then, when I was going to leave again, I rolled out to the curb and tried it a couple times (this time with the lights on), and it wouldn't open.

Then, since the lights were on, I turned them off, and tried again, and from the same position near the curb, it worked just fine.

So, it appears as though perhaps the LED bulbs may indeed be causing a problem while they are on.

Now, that's only one test though. So, I want to go back out and test it many times over and over in the two conditions to make sure. Once I have done that, I will let you know...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: