Putting down Vinyl flooring in garage

Old 01-21-16, 12:32 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting down Vinyl flooring in garage

I have purchased this vinyl flooring to install in my garage:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.p...|||||11365101|

I just want to make sure that I don't run into moisture problems underneath it. I live in a VERY cold climate in winter and quite warm in summer (Edmonton) and right now the floor is bare concrete. I assume I should seal the concrete, just not sure which sealant to use? Acrylic seems the cheapest but will that do what I want?

Thanks,

Old 01-21-16, 12:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
Get a piece of plastic a couple feet or meter square and some duct tape. Lay the sheet flat on your floor and tape all the edges down. Several days later pull up the plastic and see if water has condensed on the bottom of the plastic or if the concrete underneath is damp. That will tell you if sealing the floor is a good option and if so what product might be best.

Generally I'm against sealing the floor as it makes it very difficult to do anything in the future. If you decide to epoxy coat the sealant has to be ground off with a diamond grinder. Sealing the floor can help with dust and makes sweeping and cleaning up spills easier. But, I would not worry about it too much since you're covering the floor with a vinyl mat which is sort of the ultimate vapor barrier and spill catcher.

Old 01-21-16, 01:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK, that's an easy test. I will do that and report back. Middle of winter here is that going to affect my results?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: