Overhead Door model 65b - Motor won't move chain, only hums

Old 01-23-16, 02:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overhead Door model 65b - Motor won't move chain, only hums

Good afternoon,

We have an Overhead Door 65b opener. I found a copy of the manual here: http://www.ohdbing.com/assets/65b.pdf

When we hit the button, we can hear a light hum coming from it, but nothing moves. When I pull the release lever, I can easily move the door up and down the tracks. With the lever still released, when I hit the button, the motor still will not move the chain.

When it last worked, it was in the down position, so the carriage is at its furthest point from the opener.

The white plastic gear doesn't seem to be damaged - no visible shavings. I took the bottom cover off. The capacitor isn't bulging or leaking, but I don't have a multimeter to test to be sure it's working.

What are some other things I can check? Thanks!

Old 01-23-16, 07:46 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Start by checking to see that the limit cams are properly attached to the chain. Second step would be to check the limit switch, but you may need a meter. Last thought is a bad circuit board.

This is an old unit and you may want to be watching for sales rather than throwing much money into this unit.

Old 01-25-16, 09:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we'll go ahead and get a new opener. Pretty sure this one is original with the house - 25+ years is a good run.

What's the minimum HP suggested these days for an opener? I called two different garage door shops. They each sell Liftmaster. Are they ok, or is there another brand preferred here? Thanks again.

Old 01-25-16, 09:52 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Many name brands - most are good. Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Genie/Overhead (same company), and some make private label for sears.
Chain drive is the least expensive and should last well - considering the age of your old unit.

I have two screw drives which are almost 20 years old. Minor repairs have kept them running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: