Chamberlain Elite CSW200UL3 - Loop Detector Unit

Old 01-26-16, 02:36 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chamberlain Elite CSW200UL3 - Loop Detector Unit

Hello All,

I have the Chamberlain Elite CSW200UL3 here at our condo complex. It looks like we have some safety loop lines that were installed but for some reason our loop detector device has gone missing (before I bought the condo that is part of the HOA).

From the manual, http://www.afence.com/PDF/CSWwSurgeManual.pdf, it looks like the part number A79 is the external loop detector I'm looking for but I haven't be able to find one that is well priced. Elite A-79 Loop Detector, Protec Controls as an example.

I see that there are a lot of loop detectors sold on Ebay and in my mind it seems like it will do exactly the same thing, something like this: D Tek MS Vehicle Loop Detector Model 3416D New in Box | eBay

Does anyone have some thoughts on what loop detector units you may have used in the past and some guidance on which ones I could install? It looks like the A79 is 115VAC, does that matter?

Also, seems like many of the ones I've seen on Ebay are 10 pin connectors and I haven't seen many harnesses for those. Any thoughts on this as well?

Thanks,

Old 01-27-16, 12:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
You need a detector module for each loop..... typically three loops.

Why don't you use the ones designed to plug right into your unit.
Elite A-ELD Loop Detector

Old 02-01-16, 02:10 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Pete,

Thanks for your reply on this. I was thinking of getting the ones that plug right in as they are more cost effective. My only hesitation is that it seems like the current loops are wired in serial with the connectors stashed away inside a metal box (likely where the previous loop detector was) and it is about 12 ft away from the garage door controller. There is a wire that runs directly to the garage door controller, likely to provide messaging from the previous controller but I'm unsure what kind of wire it is currently and if I would need to have the same twisted loop wire (as it seems is the case from the illustrations in the manual). As for the loop wire itself, i'm unsure of the total number of twists since it is buried and hard for me to tell. Seems like a lot of different variables for me to sort out.

In short, I feel like the path of least resistance is to try to redo what may have been previously there but am open to suggestions on how to install the plug in model directly.

I'm going to also double check if the loops themselves are actually still viable before I get too deep into this.

Thanks,
Long

Old 02-01-16, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Most systems require a 6 twist per foot minimum which is nothing.

Any good twisted pair wiring should be all you need to extend the existing wiring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: