Two Garage Doors--One Opener?

Old 04-12-01, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Someone told me that you can have a single garage door opener open two single side by side garage doors? Is this true and if so how? I would really like to save the money on buying just one opener. Please e-mail me with some info.

Thanks,
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-01, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think they were talking about a service panel. You have two different openers with 2 different codes and both are wired into the service panel. Stanley has this setup, but you still need to buy 2 openers.

Old 04-16-01, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
When I moved into my current house, the two doors were opened with one opener. They had been bolted together with two large u-shaped brackets that spanned between the two separate doors (by large I talking about 12" wide by 28-30" long). One central opener attached to the upper bracket and raised and lowered both doors. So, it can be done.

However, it ricked both doors over time, applying all the pulling force at the inner edge puts a lot of stress on the doors and tracks. In addition, it provided a handy guillotine to any brooms or shovels that you may have leaned between the doors when you had the doors open.

The cost of the extra opener is well worth it.

Old 04-17-01, 03:15 PM
Visiting Guest
I have senn this done by having one torsion bar used for both doors.