Garage height

Old 04-12-01, 05:55 PM
Visiting Guest
I work in the auto industry as a product planner.. My question is. Is their minimum height requirement for a garage.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-01, 07:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Do you mean the door height?

The standard garage door height is 7 foot and it is rare that garage doors are built any lower. Be aware, though, that the call-out size of a seven foot door does not include trim, which lowers the actual height. Additionally, the angle of the driveway affects the height of the vehicle at entry.

6ft 8in is the standard (though not infallible) estimate of clearance.

Old 04-13-01, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mr. Hall is correct about the average height of a garage door being 7', however 8' doors are becoming increasingly more popular. This is due to the fact of SUV's and normal size pickups. They will fit into the 7' opening, however if they have any type of rack on top or antenna, problems arise. A 7' door requires a 8' wall, a 8' door requires a 9' wall. This allows room for the door headers. I have recently done two garages with 10 ft. doors for the tall 4 wheel drive pickups. Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Old 04-17-01, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
HEY. If you make your opening just a foot past the door height than you will have problems. 1) The door will have to have 12 inch radius track which is stupid to make a 24 inch pannel turn in a 12 inch radius 2) The door rides higher in the track at the end of the turn sometimes 3 inches higher. 3) 12 inches of room i guess you will not be applying anything to the trusses such as drywall 4)where do you put the opener that needs afew inches. So in short if you like so many others who dont give yor garage the the height it needs to be done right Ill cladly sell you a duel track low headroom kit. And also i have a 4x4 chevy with a high topper with a rack and larger tires and I pull just fine in the garage every nite. But there is nothing like a large 8 ft door opening

Old 04-19-01, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It looks like the purpose for the question was missed by several. The intention of the question was for the future design of automobiles and pickups and such, not how to build a tall garage door. In other words the designer does not want to design something that will not fit into the garage.