Garage Door Opener Wall Switch Doesn't Work

Old 03-20-16, 05:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener Wall Switch Doesn't Work

I have an Overhead Door Phantom (777CD) and the wall switch recently stopped working. Remote controls continue to work fine. The wall switch is a series II wall console. Pressing either the light or the door button will sometimes turn on the GDO light bulb (and sometimes will not). Also, sometimes the wall console buttons light up (and sometimes they do not). There doesn't seem to be clear causality for either of the above. I bought a new series II console and that did not fix the problem. I checked continuity on the wiring and it is ok. The wires are securely under the screw terminals at both ends. Power reset (unplug) the GDO does not fix the problem. Shorting the terminals for the wall switch on the GDO does operate the door - shorting the terminals works to both open and close the door.

At this point I'm thinking it's the circuit board in the GDO. Another option would be to just go with a doorbell type button but I do like the ability to turn the light on and off that the console provides.

Any ideas are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-16, 06:47 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
Is the new series II console compatible with your unit? If so I would say its defective. Return it for a new one. Are you sure all connections are in the right terminals?