Attaching my deattached garage to my house.

Old 03-28-16, 09:52 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching my deattached garage to my house.

Hello,

I have a garage that is not attached to my house, its about a 2 1/2 gap from my house to my garage. This spring/summer I am taking the roof off and replacing the roof and joist due to bowing and giving out. My question is what would be the proper way to attach the garage to my house. Would I bolt a 4x4 or something to the side of the house and rest the wall studs and joist to that? Thanks for the help everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-16, 09:57 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Let's start with some pictures: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-28-16, 09:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
What is the distance between your house and garage? 2 1/2 what's? Feet, inches, yards???

The first step would be to visit your inspection and zoning departments. The construction requirements for your garage will probably change once you attach the garage to your house. Much of it will have to do with fire protection. The requirements are more stringent when the garage is attached to a house.

Old 03-28-16, 10:23 AM
C
2 1/2 feet

Im looking to extend the garage towards the house, straighten the walls and completely rebuild the roof.

Attached Images      
Old 03-28-16, 10:51 AM
C
Would it make more sense to just straighten the garage wall , rebuild the roof and just use the space between the garage the the house as a breezeway or something?

Old 03-29-16, 05:24 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
The way that wall is leaning it sure looks like that slab and or footing has failed causing the whole wall to twist.
If so getting the wall plumb is not going to do a thing to fix the real issue.

Old 03-29-16, 05:55 AM
C
The footings are fine. The reason the bottom part of the wall is going to the right is because the back part of the roof is giving out and the support beams are splitting. So im going to completely take the roof off, straighten the front, back, and right walls, add and make better footings/foundation, take the left wall down and make a wall against my house and use the materials from the left wall to extend the front and back walls to the house, then build a new roof with a sturdier and steeper pitch. My only question at this point is how do I effectively attach the left part of the garage to my house?

Old 03-29-16, 05:59 AM
C
2.5 feet. I talked to code enforcement and they said none of it is an issue. Zone is fine because only one wall is coming down and fire protection is a fire wall. Need to make up plans and submit.

Old 03-29-16, 06:13 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Will there be a doorway between the two? What will you do with that window? Is it only the front part of the garage that will join the house or the whole long extended section? The back section would be tougher because of the pitch of that part of the roof and having to deal with water flowing toward the house.

I wouldn't assume the existing house wall construction is sturdy enough to carry the added load of the roof, So you will want a post from the left end of the ridge beam down to a good foundation footing. If you plan to have a door and that post would be in the way, you could have two posts with a beam to straddle them and a short post up to the ridge beam.

Old 03-29-16, 07:03 AM
C
Yeah thats the part im most worried about is the back part of the house is an addition. And the wall to that addition thats closet to the garage is a brick wall. So there is already lots of weight on that wall and it has moved a very little bit but it was like that when we moved in. Does it make more since, cost wise and structure wise to keep the gap between the house and the garage and just rebuild the roof? Maybe make that a awkward breezeway or something and use it for storage?

Old 03-29-16, 07:47 AM
C
Extending and tying in the front section, the part where the roof ridge runs perpendicular to the house, would be fairly straightforward. The back section where the roof ridge runs parallel to the house would be trouble, I think. You would have to have a long gutter or similar to collect the rain water from both roofs. It would just collect leaves and trash and especially snow and would have to be very carefully done to avoid constant clogs and leaks.

So IIWM, I'd only tie the front section to the house or leave it as is.

If you really want to tie the whole thing, then I would look at just combining the two structures into a larger house with a single roof and a built in garage. That of course would be serious money.

Old 03-29-16, 08:52 AM
C
So what If I was to do this. Extend the front part of the garage out past the side door and attach that portion to the house. Then I would put a man door next to the garage door. As for the back section I would keep it as is and use the small portion between the house and garage as a small (roofless) breeze way storage area. That way I donít put any pressure on the house extension. That would also allow me to keep the roof the same shape. Does that make sense? Also seems like I can get away with that pretty cheapish - $5000 diy?

Old 03-29-16, 10:08 AM
C
That would give you more room in the garage, always a plus. Seems like a reasonable idea. Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like that part of the garage roof is always below the roof line of the house which makes tying it in a lot easier. You'd want to maintain that by not making the peak of the new roof section too high. But looks doable. 5k might be pushing it, depending on how much new material you have to buy and how much you can salvage and how much concrete work you need done for the bigger slab and any required footings.

Old 03-29-16, 10:32 AM
C
Yeah the driveway and inside of the garage are just asphalt. So the only work I need are footings for the structure. I can keep the roof pitch about the same so it wont connect to the house roof. I'm hoping to keep around 5k but can go over. I can salvage all the roof boards but Want to use those to build a small deck in the back. Thanks for the help.