Garage door opener failed

Old 04-16-16, 08:12 AM
W
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Garage door opener failed

I inherited a house with a "GENUS" electric garage door opener (probably 20 years old and out of production. This garage is used for storage and only opened and closed once or twice a week. The last time I closed it, it worked fine. When I went to open it yesterday, It would not open with the remote, and when I got inside thru the side door, it would not open with the inside button either. There is power to the plug on the ceiling, but no action from the opener motor. If there is a capacitor or something that may have failed, where to I look first?

Old 04-16-16, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 289 Votes on 252 Posts
Most GDO have a circuit board on the back side of the unit where all the electrical components sit. Start there. You could also test the motor with an electrical meter.

Old 04-16-16, 03:01 PM
Received 318 Votes on 285 Posts
First, tell us if the door opens manually without the opener. Does the opener light up if actuated? Do you hear any hum from the unit? Is the circuit breaker tripped? You need to check all the obvious before we can offer any help.

Old 04-17-16, 08:06 AM
W
Garage Door Opener Failed

Circuit breaker wasn't tripped. Opened and closed, and other lights on same line were fine. Garage door opened when I had to use the manual release. No discernable hum from unit. I did not have any meters or tools when I was out at the house last week when this happened. Going out with tools and ladders and meters today. I will post back what I find.

thanks!
Unit did not light up when actuated inside either.

Last edited by WML13; 04-17-16 at 08:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-18-16, 07:20 AM
W
Garage door circuit board failed

This unit is a VENUS Brand. Model # 508711. I took the cover off and found two melted wires where they joined a third at the right side of the board as you look at from the back. I plan to re wire it and jump to the last wire still connected to the board to see If I can light things up. Are there any parts still available for this brand?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: