Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Mold on all garage drywall (that hasn't spread in 3 years); best way to clean?

Old 04-24-16, 06:39 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

So, I have a 23x23x10 garage. There is this very faint mold on the entire thing (most on the walls, only a few spots on the ceiling).

Here is what the paint in the garage looks like: http://i.imgur.com/vwiBBa2.jpg

I painted a test swatch of a new color on one of the walls 2+ year ago and it has grown NO mold.

I think it grew originally because the seller used paint from 2005 in 2012 to paint it before sale (it's the same paint as our walls in the house, and the cans are still in the garage with 2005 dated on them).

I cut a few exploratory holes and there is no mold behind the drywall, on the beams, or in the gypsum. It's all just on the paint (walls and ceiling unfortunately).

The weird thing is this. We saw the mold when we bought the house. It was in our home inspection. The guy said it was common for the area (high humidity area of NC). Once, when we took a cruise and left the house at 80f for 10 days, the mold grew. Our garage is a step down and the area of drywall that's up against the houses lower framing (instead of against the normal stick wall and insulation) had light fuzzies all over it (you could blow and they'd fly away).

Up until that point and ever since, the mold has not spread at all.

I was thinking of doing this:
Spray the whole garage down with Concrobium (mold killer, EPA-registered).
Wipe walls down and dry.
Paint with Killz 2.
Paint garage with an exterior mold/mildew resistant paint like Valspar Duramax 365.

Does that sound like a good method to get rid of this paint mold? Ripping out all of the drywall would cost a ton in this size of a space, and from what I can tell it is ONLY on the drywall paint, no where else.

Old 04-24-16, 06:50 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oh, and I will note that we have never smelled mold in this garage at all. Not even a hint. No allergies or anything else either.

The garage is attached to the house and we park both cars in it and use a door connecting to the house.

Old 04-24-16, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Kilz 2 is the worst possible choice for primer, imho. And you don't need a primer unless you feel like you need to block the stains. If so, I would recommend Sherwin Williams PrepRite® ProBlock® Primer/Sealer.

Old 04-25-16, 03:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, don't use Kilz 2! It is a poor stain hiding primer and is reported to have adhesion issues [I never use it]

I'd probably just use a bleach/water solution to clean the walls although you do need to rinse off the residue prior to painting. You can either use a mold/mildew resistant paint [like most bath paints] or add extra mildewcide to your choice of paint. Most any paint store will have the packets of mildewcide, some will even add it to the paint for you. It's primarily for exterior paints but there isn't any issue using it in a garage.

Old 04-25-16, 09:24 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I think it grew originally because the seller used paint from 2005 in 2012...
I've been using the same gallon of latex exterior on my garage, bought in 2010, and the mold/mildew is getting worse and worse every year. Gross actually.

Does the mildewcide wear out after some time in the can?

Thanks

Old 04-25-16, 09:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if mildewcide has an expiration date but improperly stored paint can grow mold/mildew. Does the paint look/smell ok in the can? A more likely scenario is the mildew on the wall not being completely removed/killed prior to repainting. Just painting over mildew only hides the mildew and all but guarantees that it will return, sooner rather than later.

Old 04-25-16, 09:40 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Does the paint look/smell ok in the can?
Yeah, looks fine and I store it inside in the winter. We've had a lot of late fall rain the last few years, maybe that is it. I did your bleach/water cleaning then rinsing good with a hose and it looked like new but it keeps coming back.

I'll buy a new can and see what happens.

Thanks

Old 04-25-16, 09:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You might try just buying a packet of mildewcide and mixing it in your leftover paint. I don't know if a big box paint dept sells it but any paint store should.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: