Operating Liftmaster garage door opener remotely

Old 04-27-16, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Operating Liftmaster garage door opener remotely

Hi,

I own a LiftMaster garage opener that is about 9 years old. The part number is 41AB050-2, but the user manual I downloaded a while ago is for model 3280c so that's probably the model I have.

I'd like to control the door remotely from my phone. I'm using Ubiquiti's mPort to send the signal to a relay that can turn on or off the door, but I am unable to find detailed information regarding the what each wire do in the terminal block.

There are 3 pairs or wires arriving at the motor, two go to the white+grey terminal block (probably the two IR detectors) and one goes to the red+white terminal block - probably the wired button next to the door.

Can I just hook my relay to the red+white terminal block (in parallel to the existing remote button) to trigger the door? I'm thinking not, because if I look at the current button, there seems to be a PCB (at least a resistor) so it doesn't seem to simply be a matter of closing the circuit.

Any suggestion (besides buying LiftMaster's internet bridge)?

Thanks

I have

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-16, 04:13 PM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
you can hook a relay to the same wires as the push button in parallel but it must be momentary contact and not stay engaged. If you use an 888lm push button and the internet gateway and near by WiFi along with the liftmaster app.... you will be able to tell if your door is open or closed from anywhere. Will Ubiquiti's mPort be able to tell you if door is open and send you notifications when it opens and closes?

Old 04-27-16, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your reply. I tried shorting the cables and indeed it worked. To answer your question, the mPort is just an I/O bridge to their controller. So, with the addition of a door contact sensor, I'll be able to sense if the door is opened or close, and send me a SMS or email if it is opened for more than X minutes.

Thanks

Old 05-06-16, 10:56 PM
Can I also control the lights?

Hi,

Now that I am able to open and close my garage door using my mFi mPort, and that I added sensors (door contacts) to know if the garage door is opened or closed (and send me alerts if it is open for too long), I'd also like to be able to remote control the light on the GDO.

At the moment, I run 2 wires to the red and white terminal bloc of the GDO and short those 2 wires for a fraction of a second to trigger open or close. The 2 wires from the wall-fixed door control also go the the same connections of the terminal block.

Since the wall control can turn-on and off the light, using only those 2 wires, I would assume that I can do the same (and have the ability to link that to a movement detector I already have in place).

Does someone know how to control the GDO light from those 2 wires? Or is the wall panel using wireless signal to control the light?

Thanks

Old 05-07-16, 04:36 AM
the wall panel uses the two wires to run the light, but i believe it uses a lower voltage...I'm not sure. If you were to short the two contacts at the switch it's self you should be able to run your light with a relay

Old 05-07-16, 12:48 PM
Humm.... so you mean that the wall panel will short the same 2 wires, but with an added resistor, so that the voltage drops, and this is the signal at the GDO to turn-on the light only? Is it documented what is the voltage drop?

Old 02-22-18, 04:19 AM
I don't know what the voltage drop is, and I'm not even sure thats how it is accomplished. (turning the light on or off) you would have to contact Liftmaster/ chamberlian to find that out ... If they would even tell you.