Chamberlain garage door opener motion sensor

Old 11-03-16, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chamberlain garage door opener motion sensor

I just bought and installed a Chamberlain opener (WD832KEV) with a motion sensor on the wall console with the open button. When I bought it, I thought it would turn the lights on when I went into the garage. This would be very handy is it is an attached garage and I go in their frequently.

When I read the instructions it tells you how to turn the motion sensing on (which I did). But it says the lights will turn on when "someone enters through the garage door and the safety reversing sensor..is broken". This seems useless to me. Is that the only way the motion sensor will work?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The good old fine print will get you every time. You may be able to beat the system. Following instructions for setting up the light, try breaking the sensor beam with the door closed. If that works, you could consider paralleling a second set of sensors across your house to garage door.

Don't cheat and move the original sensors They are there for a reason.

Old 11-04-16, 02:38 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Liftmaster uses two different methods to activate the light. 1. a wall mounted control panel with a motion sensor built in. 2. you cross through the safety sensors with the door open and it will trigger the light to come on. Both can be enabled and disabled

Old 11-04-16, 07:43 AM
I only see 1 set of directions in the manual. They are start with the light on and hold the light button for 10 seconds.

I definitely see the motion sensor on the wall, but it doesn't turn on the lights.

Old 11-04-16, 09:51 AM
I got it working. There is a separate motion sensor switch. The manual doesn't really mention it other than in a diagram.