what is the value add for vinyl over 'smartside'?

Old 12-08-16, 08:07 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what is the value add for vinyl over 'smartside'?

Thinking about that shed still..

I wont be buying from Home Depot/Costco-- 24" on center and OSB felt less sturdy than the backyard places... So, I will have to open the wallet a bit...and I want this to be 'an investment'--ie, to last a very long time. 15-20 years at the minimum.

I have it in my head that if I pay the extra $400(ish) to 'upgrade' to vinyl siding, the shed will last a whole lot longer and not require maintenance.

Aesthetically, I am fine with SmartSide (T1-11). I just dont want/need more maintenance tasks. My house is vinyl sided

I was find with wood until I saw this: "All T1-11 is NOT the same...

Old 12-08-16, 08:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You don't have to paint vinyl. You know that. Not sure what you're asking since you seem to know the answer already.

Old 12-08-16, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've painted all 3 types of T-111 and the 3 common thicknesses; 5/8",1/2" and 3/8" Thicker is better but also cost more. For the longest life it's always best to coat the siding with oil base exterior wood primer followed by 1 or 2 coats of latex house paint. Nails that penetrate the surface should have the resulting hole filled with putty or caulk. How close the bottom of the wood is to the ground will also play a part in how long the siding will last. It's not uncommon for properly built and maintained T-111 to last decades.

Vinyl siding means you won't have to paint but it will still need to be cleaned from time to time. IF the siding is too low to the ground; weeds, grass and splashing rain can cause the plywood/osb behind the siding to get wet - shortening the life of the shed.

Old 12-08-16, 10:09 AM
S
Hi! Wasn't trying to ask a question I already know the answer to-- my question is more about reasonable lifespan of a shed in T1-11 vs paying for vinyl.

Is it reasonable to expect the shed to last 10 years longer in vinyl vs T1-11 (I understand now that there are multiple variations--think most places use either SmartPanel or Duratemp)?

Old 12-08-16, 10:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
OK, I get it now. Mark said it well already:
IF the siding is too low to the ground; weeds, grass and splashing rain can cause the plywood/osb behind the siding to get wet - shortening the life of the shed.
You have to make sure your foundation extends at least 6" above grade or all bets are off on lifespan. Do this and I think vinyl is worth the cost.

Old 12-08-16, 01:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've painted T-111 that was 20+ yrs old that was still in great condition. If proper building practices were used and the paint is maintained - T-111 will last a long time. Vinyl removes the need to make sure the paint stays in decent shape.

Old 12-08-16, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One thing to consider when adding vinyl over T1-11 is the door, window and corner treatments. You will either have to extend them out to maintain a good shadow line or the vinyl j channel will be flush with the outside, which, IMO, is not very appealing.

Old 12-09-16, 08:39 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
... my question is more about reasonable lifespan of a shed in T1-11 vs paying for vinyl.
Interesting video. From that it appears I have 5/8" all wood T1-11, good stuff. Built the garage in 89 and it still looks as good as the day I put it on.

I'm not a fan of scrapping paint so I've always used solid color oil stain, easy to put on with a roller but does take time to get all the grooves with a small brush. I'd guess I redo it every 5 years or so.

As mentioned, keep it off the ground a ways, I have a row of block so that isn't a problem for me.

Old 12-09-16, 08:58 AM
S
wow! this is great info! The shed will be on a gravel bed and on 4x4 runners. I would assume it would be 4" minimum off the gravel.

Sounds like $400 is a good investment for vinyl

Wish I liked the vinyl doors as much as the upgraded 'new england' style doors

Old 12-09-16, 11:22 AM
S
...One thing to consider when adding vinyl over T1-11 is the door, window and corner treatments. You will either have to extend them out to maintain a good shadow line or the vinyl j channel will be flush with the outside, which, IMO, is not very appealing.
If I go vinyl, I think they put that over plywood, instead of T1-11

Old 12-09-16, 11:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's correct, with new construction it's cheaper to use plywood or OSB if you know in advance it will be covered with vinyl siding. The door opening still needs to be planned properly. I would assume the builder would know .... do they have vinyl sided sheds for you to look at?

Old 12-09-16, 04:09 PM
S
very few on the lot. And none in the configuration I am considering.

I got the answer I was seeking: vinyl does extend the life of a (properly set, height-wise) shed while eliminating maintenance need. Thanks everyone!

One PS question, though... Any idea how long the ramp would need to be to drop 6"+ lip of door frame to the ground? 5'? less?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: