Craftsman Garage door opener won't pass 2x4 test and rail bends..

Old 12-31-16, 12:33 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Garage door opener won't pass 2x4 test and rail bends..

I have adjusted the angle on this stupid rail about 20 times. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. The part the arm connects to from rail to garage door sits on top of the garage door top panel. So I don't know if this is the issue, as opposed to connecting in from the adapter. I use this because the doors are thin, so I figure I would use this area since this seems to be what it is obviously for.

I have installed two of these and honestly they seem to be junk. The first one the circuit board that adjusts the trolley was bad, it would not register the up and down setting properly. After I installed the new board it worked fine. But while testing the 2x4 test it fails. I have a 3 car garage and I am installing on the smaller door, and I can't get the door to close properly and the rail not to bow. and when the door is closed properly the rail bows.. it has to bow extremely in order to pass the 2x4 test. I have 9ft ceilings and the hanger kit I have is maxed out so I can't bring it down any lower. I tried 2 inches above the highest peak of the door, but my motor will not hang low enough due to restriction of the hanger length. Also, the travel setting of the door is set electronically, and it never seems to be precise to where you set it. I can get the door to sit without the rail bending but then there is just a tiny bit of light.. which I can practically take two fingers and push the door down the extra few centimeters to close properly. If I try to get it to close where no light is showing the rail bows.

Are these really that much of a pain to install? Or is this just lack of experience from my part..

Old 12-31-16, 01:03 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I follow your description (pics would help) you have the attachment point for the opener all the way at the top of the door. My guess is this is too high and the mechanics are just wrong because most of the force at that point will be pushing the door toward the frame rather than down toward the floor. I suggest you move the bracket down where it is supposed to be, reinforcing it with angle iron as will be explained in the manual, and your problems will go away.

Old 12-31-16, 01:39 PM
E
Okay, thank you. I think you're right. Here is a picture:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/RApyEW.jpg

I was thinking it was possibly because the angle wasn't exact due to the opener not hanging low enough but I think I more than compensated with all of the height adjustments at the header. The board is starting to look like it was used for target practice at the gun range!

Old 12-31-16, 03:48 PM
M
I looking at your picture the angle may be off and adjusting it may correct the problem. However, you never mentioned adjusting the force required to reverse the door. This adjustment is on the same board where you have been adjusting the travel limits. It could be set too high so that no matter how you adjust the angle it's not going to reverse the door.

Also, there is a much simpler way of adjusting the angle van moving where the rail connects to the wall. Just lengthening arm by relocating the bolts that are in where the 2 arm sections join. Much simpler than what you have been doing and you can tried several different locations very quickly.

Old 12-31-16, 03:52 PM
M
I looking at your picture the angle may be off and adjusting it may correct the problem. However, you never mentioned adjusting the force required to reverse the door. Adjusting the forces is what you would normally do to get the reverse function to work correctly. This adjustment is on the same board where you have been adjusting the travel limits. It could be set too high so that no matter how you adjust the angle it's not going to reverse the door.

Also, there is a much simpler way of adjusting the angle van moving where the rail connects to the wall. Just lengthening arm by relocating the bolts that are in where the 2 arm sections join. Much simpler than what you have been doing and you can tried several different locations very quickly.

Old 12-31-16, 09:17 PM
E
Hi thanks for the response. I did try adjusting the arm too, and it was always the same story with the rail bending. Also, this craftsman only has an up and down arrow to move the door up and down and no force adjustment, unless it's internal there isn't anything easily accessible which is odd. And the instructions just state that if the door doesn't go back up on the 2x4 more downward setting is necessary which you would think would contradict what is needed. But I think, maybe moving the arm connection point to the middle of panel may help. I have to order the reinforcement bracket online as the hardware stores didn't have any by me.

I will follow up on here once I do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: