Craftsman 139.536 Garage Door Unit: Both Sensor Lights Out

Old 01-04-17, 06:32 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 139.536 Garage Door Unit: Both Sensor Lights Out

Both my sensor indictor lights have gone out, and therefore the garage door won't close normally. I've done basic troubleshooting and it seems that there isn't power to those sensors anymore, however everything else works eletrically with the unit. The unit is 17 years old. I could replace the sensors, but seems odd that they would both go out at once. So before spending the $40 on those, I need to try and figure out if there is a short in the wiring. Is there a good way to find out where the short could be? My main goal is to avoid pulling everything apart and rewiring it all. I'be already respliced the connections from the bell wire to the sensors. Any ideas what else I should check?

Old 01-04-17, 06:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Moved to Garage Door Openers forum.

Old 01-04-17, 11:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
Can you check for voltage at the back of the unit?

Old 01-05-17, 03:25 AM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
They are likely both out because the "sender photo eye" light is always on unless it is defective or has lost power. The "receiving photo eye" light will be on when properly aligned, flashing when misaligned and off when blocked or when the sender photo eye is defective or is not powered. So you will end up with no lights on when the sender is no power or defective.You can also get this condition if either photo eye wire is shorted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: