Want to make some modifications to new shed

Old 01-04-17, 07:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to make some modifications to new shed

Hi all!

So, I ended up buying a 10x12 shed

I plan on two alterations in the short term (in the spring, I'll also add mesh 'skirt' to keep critters out from under it)
  1. Add solar lights
  2. Add loft

For the solar lights, I'd like to install one one above the door, and the other, I'd like to install the solar panel outside, but the light inside the shed itself (maybe also above the door/ illuminating the interior? Question: Any suggestions on best place to drill through the vinyl siding without introducing water into the interior of the shed?

For the loft:
I originally was thinking I would install 2x6 framing/resting on the top of the (double) wall header. But, this would not leave a lot of room for storage. I then found instructions on putting a (2x4? 2x6?) as a (forgive me if this is the wrong term) ledger on each side, then putting the 2x6 framing on top of this (basically flush to wall studs). Question: is there a difference in strength in using this method vs just using joist hangers attached to the studs themselves? One other question: The instructions I found say to use nails to attach everything. Why nails over screws?

This is the (rough) materials list for the loft. As the shed is 10x12, I am thinking it would be reasonable to build a 4'x10' (ish-- I know 10' is outside measurement so it will likely be more like 4'x9.25') loft. Assuming 12" OC loft framing, and using the 'ledger' method, is this a reasonable materials list?
  • QTY: 5 Type: 2x6x10'
  • Qty: 2 Type: 4'x8'x.75" Plywood Sheets
  • Qty:? Type: Nails? Screws?

Thanks so much in advance! This is one of the more involved carpentry project I will have attacked

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 08:47 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd drill the hole for the wire up close to any one of the overhangs, and just caulk it well. When you drill, angle the hole up toward the inside a little so if any water does get in, it can drain back out.

A ledger is a good way to attach the loft. You can level the ledgers and then build the loft framing on top and know it will be level and well supported. I think they advise nails over screws because too many people would use drywall screws, which are not designed for structural application. If you use deck screws or SPAX screws you would be fine. I wouldn't get too carried away with putting a lot of very heavy items up there, since no way of know if the shed was designed for that. But a few hundreds of pounds shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-04-17, 10:51 AM
S
perfect! thanks for the reply

Old 01-08-17, 08:28 PM
I am in threw portable building business and the ledger method you outlined is how we do all our lofts. What is the stud spacing on your walls? We use 24" spacing and so just put the 2x6 supports at the studs. The front most suport make a doubled up header. This is not necessarily for strength, but so you don't have to rip 2" off your plywood so it doesn't overhang the support. The back support you could actually get away with a 2x4, because you can attach it to every stud across the back of the building. 3/4 ply is a great choice for the deck, but 1/2 would probably be more than sufficient.

Rob

Old 01-09-17, 01:30 PM
S
hi! Thanks for the reply!

Studs are 16" OC. I just picked up the material-- went with 1/2 after thinking more about overall weight. Hadnt thought about needing to rip the plywood if the front joist doesnt line up with the edge-- interesting...

I bought 7 ten foot 2x6 and two sheets of 1/2" plywood. Hoping my math works-- I dont have a truck, so its hard to get lumber to the house

Old 01-09-17, 07:16 PM
That should be more than plenty of materials. Good luck!

Old 01-13-17, 02:50 PM
S
Thanks!

I'll try to include some 'after' pics as I go.

Here is first solar light going up. I tucked the wire into the vinyl (is that ok? I dont want to mess up my siding!). I was debating on tucking like this vs drilling a hole (the other solar panel will result in a hole to pass the wire to the light inside the shed, this would require one additional hole behind/below the light which is underneath the gable vent, above the door). Less holes won. For now...

Light above door:

Wire tucked under vinyl in door-gable/front of shed:

Wire tucked around corner on the way to solar panel