where can I buy thin angles?

Old 01-13-17, 11:26 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
where can I buy thin angles?

I plan to make a strong shelf (-ves) for the garage. I checked the price of slotted 14 gauge angles. They are so expensive at Lowes and Home Depot. I called local steel distributors. I found 10' angle about $15 (if I buy 10 piece bundle), but the thinnest they carry is 3/16. Way too thick for me to handle. I wonder if anyone knows a good source of thin angles (or slotted angles).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-17, 12:10 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily equate slotted angle to strong shelves, but strong is relative, so may be fine for what you want. For slotted, it has always seemed high for what you get, at least to me, but you might also check your local lumber yard. For regular angle, you might see how Tractor Supply compares, seems I have gotten fairly decent prices from there a few times, and, depending on how much I am looking for, I have sometimes gotten a decent price at one of the local welding shops. I have one in particular that does a lot of commercial work, and they always have leftovers that they are willing to let go for a good price.

Old 01-13-17, 12:23 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welding shop. Thank you. I will call them

I guess my reference for strong shelf is the plastic shelf I have right now. Anything stronger than plastic shelf from walmart is strong to me. My apology for loose definition.

Old 01-13-17, 12:42 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
No apology needed, in fact I probably should offer one if anything, but didn't know what you had in mind. But having a better idea now, you might just go with say a piece of 3/4" plywood with a cleat along the wall and a couple of 2x4's to carry the front corners.

Old 01-13-17, 05:00 PM
Received 356 Votes on 332 Posts
Not sure what you need the metal for?

As mentioned, 2x4 along the wall with 3/4 plywood shelves with vertical posts at the end, with or without the horizontal 2x4 at the edge will give you shelving that can hold hundreds of pounds of stuff.