Carport add on

Old 01-16-17, 07:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carport add on

I have a gable end carport that I would like to extend in length...the inexpensive way is to add a shed type addition attached by some type of header to the gable end...gable span is 14 feet and height to bottom of truss is 13.5 feet...I plan on adding another 12 feet in length with a pitch of 5/12...I think I am OK with footers, piers and posts for the addition but am concerned with the header, I don't plan putting another set of posts on the gable end for the header and want to know how and what kind of header I need...the span from the gable end post (6x6) to the 1st support post on the add on shed type is 6 feet also a 6X6 post...any thoughts or help is appreciated in advance if this is at all possible, thanks

Old 01-16-17, 09:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Pics would be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

A lot will depend on how the carport is constructed.

Old 01-16-17, 10:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As Mark said, pictures help.
You can also draw simple sketches of your overhead/side elevation plans and scan them in.

Some good things going for you are the existing 6 x 6 posts. A header can be placed between those posts and be strong.

For example one of the strongest ways to connect a header/beam to a post is to notch the post.
That way you are not relying on through bolts alone to support the weight above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: