suggestions on a new garage opener?

Old 04-25-01, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I need to replace our current garage door opener and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a new one that isn't too terribly expensive and is reliable.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-01, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
A lot of home owners use craftsman. I've never heard any complaints about them. Seems to be the best combination of price, quality, and good instructions.

Old 04-26-01, 06:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Jw is right i install about 400 operators a year craftsman is by far the best try to purchase a belt dive it comes with a lifetime on the motor and the belt and the tube rail is way better than anything out there.

Old 04-26-01, 08:08 AM
Visiting Guest
what about these screw drives i keep hearing about? i know no idea what they're talking about. they say the screw drive is quieter than the chain ones. but i haven't heard anything about a belt one. is the belt better than the screw or chain ones?

Old 04-26-01, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, Yes nothing compares to the belt period. Screw drive is OLD BAD TECHNOLOGY. screws are uncomparable when it comes to belts, belts are silent.Screw drives were a major screwup in design they are way loud and high maintance,u need no maintance with a belt.please do not buy a screw it is a farse.

Old 04-26-01, 09:26 AM
Visiting Guest
wow, great advice. i would have never known the difference. all the ads i see tout the screw drives. are the belt drives really expensive? it sounds like i should get a craftsman one from sears.

Old 04-28-01, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
about 160$ but im not sure I am sure you will be full of happyness is you buy a belt drive.

Old 04-28-01, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
I just came home last nite with our new garage door opener from Sears. We bought the belt drive for $219. However, they are charging us $150 to install it. what a bummer. i'm not mechanically inclined enough to install it myself and my husband refuses to.

Old 05-13-01, 08:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's any consolation, my door opener is from 1979 and still works great (Craftsman). We have three of them in the family, my dad installed all of them in '79 and they are ALL still working. I wouldn't hesitate to fix it if it went bad. It has a belt internally and a chain on the outside. Who cares if it's noisy? It works

The only thing I have replaced recently on all three was the contact switch for the lights. Now they all light up.

My neighbor has one from probably 1974 or so, same as ours, still working. The lights haven't worked in 20 years in his, so I changed the bulbs and the contact switch, and lo and behold, he has lights now too. His wife was like, "They haven't worked for such a LOOOOONG time!!"

My Craftsman is a Chamberlain in disguise. They also confirmed that when I e-mailed them