shed wall vents better than soffit vents?

Old 01-24-17, 07:50 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shed wall vents better than soffit vents?

building a wood shed with gable vents or a ridge vent, most likely a ridge vent.
Wouldn't it work better if I omitted the soffit vent and instead put vents towards the bottom on the walls so air rises up from a lower area and creates a greater vacuum vs a soffit is almost at the roof already?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-17, 03:31 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's exactly what I did on my shed that I built about 18 years ago for exactly the reason you mention and to get better air circulation lower in the shed. I put a louver in the wall, with the bottom of the louver about 16" above the ground. At the top I put in a continuous ridge vent. It seems to work very well, as it's always dry in the shed.

Old 01-25-17, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Bruce. Since you don't have a ceiling and nothing to divide the air space from the main area to the attic, a lower venting system would work famously. Just make sure rainwater has no way of entering the vents. Maybe a formed cap over the top to shed water.

Old 01-25-17, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
I agree that keeping the vent water tight is the main thing. Flashing is best but you might get by with embedding the vent in caulk - a lot depends on the type of siding used.

Old 01-25-17, 04:41 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I just calked the louver in very well; no water leaking so far, even with the T1-11 siding. The important thing is to use a wall louver with the fixed blades that shed water, not just a simple vent.

Old 01-25-17, 05:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
I assume you used a standard 8"x16" soffit vent. It's a little harder to seal it with caulk when the siding isn't completely flat.