Motorhome garage: early planning stage.

Old 02-12-17, 01:59 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motorhome garage: early planning stage.

Hi. I'm interested in building a motorhome garage that will be 48' long x 36' wide. I want two oversized insulated garage doors in the front and one on the side. (see attached pic). I have gotten a very rough estimate with my original plans and was humbled at how much it will cost. $30-40K! I'll need to get the footprint of the building excavated/leveled with no tree removal (gentle downsloping pasture) then the building constructed. I'm hoping that I can either get the building insulated enough to keep it above freezing in the Montana single digit winters or heat it just enough to keep it above freezing. I'd like to put an additional septic system/RV dump near the building as well because I won't be able to tap into the existing septic because of distance to where the garage will be. I'd want a few windows, LED overhead lighting, plenty of outlets, and a 50/30 amp hookup. Smooth concrete floor, and only a 50' gravel extension off of the existing gravel driveway. So with all that said, I'm really leaning toward a metal pole barn/frame type building. I have not had an estimate from any other type of builders yet. What is the best way to go about these plans? Suggestions? Type of construction? Any advice highly appreciated. Looking at getting it done this Summer in the $30-40k range hopefully.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-17, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If your original plans were similar to the plan you have posted $40k is not out of the ball park. Concrete alone will be a big chunk since it will have to be 6" deep with footers and rebar throughout. Then you are talking at least 14' or 16' tall eaves, then a roof system.

Old 02-12-17, 03:29 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Going to be using this motor home year round?
Trying to figure out why you can not just go to any local camp ground to dump the waste tank and winterize the motor home in the off season.

Old 02-12-17, 05:42 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
16' eaves. I am getting another estimate because my original was for a bigger building with more bay doors etc. What I was hoping for, and I should have been more clear, was advice from others that have had an RV garage built. Any ins-and-outs, anything that I can ask the builders, etc. And I guess most importantly of all, is this the best construction technique as opposed to a conventional barn or garage construction given the rough plans I've attached? Thanks

Old 02-12-17, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I would seriously look at steel buildings if you haven't already. Future Buildings is one brand, probably others.

I don't think the $40K will do it. Just the garage doors you have there will run $3-4K and the larger ones probably need to be roll up doors. Then you would need jackshaft openers at around another $1K.

A friend built a regular 2 car garage with a 1/2 loft upstairs and it was $30 some thousand.