Garage Door Opener Recommendation

Old 02-23-17, 09:57 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Garage Door Opener Recommendation

I'm looking for recommendations on a decent yet economical garage door opener for an 8' x 7' 3-layer insulated steel door with glass panels (Clopay Classic). I'm willing to pay a little more for something with a stronger quieter motor, but not looking for top of the line.

Is a belt drive that much quieter than a chain drive, or is it the rollers that make the biggest difference (nylon vs. metal)?

Last edited by mossman; 02-23-17 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-17, 12:59 PM
C
Received 89 Votes on 68 Posts
I have a couple of screw drive Genie openers. They are quieter than chain drive. I don't know about belt drive openers. They have been problem free since I installed them about 8-10 years ago.

Old 02-23-17, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The belt drive openers are very quiet, but I personally like the screw drive Genies also. Properly installed with a well balanced door, they are almost as quiet and very rugged. Belt drives are basically the same as chain drives except with different drive gears and pulleys for the toothed belt. The use the same method of tensioning, they can allow some "bounce" to the door. I've had all 3 and I still like the screw drive best.

One thing to think about if there is any living space directly attached or above the garage, use a noise isolation kit of some sort to prevent transmission of vibrations.

Old 02-23-17, 01:41 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I have very little experience with openers but I, too, recommend the Genie screw-drive. I installed the Genie that has a high speed open feature on both my current door and on the door installed at my previous home and have never had any trouble.

I did have a nasty squeak on my current door when first starting to close but spraying all the hinges and rollers with a dry silicone (left a white powder) and running the door up and down a dozen times has solved that problem.

Old 02-23-17, 05:01 PM
M
I didn't know there was such a thing as screw drive. Does this type use springs to assist in lifting? No living space above.

Old 02-23-17, 05:07 PM
M
Should I get the 1/2 HP AC version or the 1 HP DC version to lift my 8'x7' 3-layer insulated door with glass panels (top row only )? The 1HP comes with a second keyless remote and a keypad for outside access. Price difference is only $60.

Old 02-23-17, 06:58 PM
C
1/2 horse is fine for a single door, the springs are doing most of the work. Up to you if the extra goodies are worth the cost.

Does the DC unit have battery backup? That's kind of nice to have although not a must have by any means.

Old 02-23-17, 09:17 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I didn't know there was such a thing as screw drive. Does this type use springs to assist in lifting?
ALL overhead garage doors use springs to counterbalance the weight of the door. Properly adjusted it takes little effort to open or close the door.

My old house had a ten foot by seven foot door and my present house has a sixteen by seven foot door. The half-horsepower opener works just fine. I personally see no reason for a battery back-up model (most likely available for the DC unit) unless you or someone else using the door has trouble lifting anything above shoulder height. I have a friend that has undergone breast cancer and she has very little upper body strength. For her I would recommend the battery back-up.

Spare remotes are easily available and not all that expensive.

Old 02-24-17, 04:13 AM
M
Thanks guys. I'll be going with the less expensive model. It actually has two remotes, but no keypad for outside. I don't really see that being an issue. I can always add one later if I really wanted to.

Actually, there are two in the same price range ($175). Both are 1/2 HP screw drive openers. Other than one not having a keyhpad, they both sound similar. One is called Dura Drive and the other Power Lift. The Dura Drive appears to be a newer model because there are only eight reviews (HD website).

Old 02-24-17, 05:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have the older Genie Accelerator model which was a screw drive that opened 2x the speed of typical door openers. I do love that feature which allows me to press the button at the inside entrance door to the house and walk to the garage door, and by that time, the door will already by fully open.

The only thing that I do not like about the genie models is that there is no remote sensor that will trigger the light if you break the beam. On the liftmaster and chamberlain belt drive models, if you break the beam at the bottom of the door, the internal light goes on which is useful if you happen to leave the garage door open on occasion. Also those models have a remote wifi feature called the MyQ which allows you to do things like monitor the status of the door remotely and to open and close the door via wifi etc. Very gadget'y but still cool

Old 02-24-17, 05:50 AM
M
I was referring to the keypad that mounts outside the garage door, so you can open the door with a code.

I like the "smart" capabilities, but just more things to go wrong IMO.

Old 02-25-17, 03:19 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
liftmaster 1/2 or 3/4 HP Belt drive has Wifi built in now and you can control from your Smart phone