Garage Door Opener Issue

Old 03-13-17, 12:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener Issue

Hello there, new to this forum, please forgive any ignorance I have

This weekend I opened my garage door with the remote and it went up without issue, however the door will now not go back down. What's very strange is that using the buttons on the opener itself, the door goes all the way in both directions without issue. However neither the hard-wired button nor any of the remotes will get the door to operate.

Naturally my first thought is "Crap I need a new opener" but it seems that the general operation is there, but the signal is not getting to the unit for some reason.

The opener is a Genie Model 1042. I have tried disconnecting the unit from power and then plugging it back in already with no results.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-17, 12:46 PM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
Have you checked the photo eye?

It's been years since I've played with mine but I think when you are making adjustments at the unit itself it bypasses the photo eye but when the unit is cycled from the remotes it's required.

Old 03-13-17, 02:21 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Yes it is a photo eye sensors. Trace and check all connections at the eyes themselves and at the back of the unit. The are thin solid copper wires and can break fairly easily. The door will not operate if it thinks something is in the way as the eye does not detect the beam from the other side. You bypass that by holding the wall switch down.

Old 03-13-17, 03:30 PM
J
Thanks for your replies!

I checked the photo eye, and it seems to think they are aligned as I am getting a solid light on both ends, and if I break the beam the LED blinks.

Also, how long do I need to hold down the wall switch to get it to bypass the photo eye? I held it down for 10-15 seconds and the door did not activate.

Old 03-13-17, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, I think I have to disagree somewhat with other posts. Normally, if it's a blocked or malfunctioning safety beam it will try to close then reverse. That at least tells you it's trying to close.

You also said it will close using the buttons on the opener? There are no buttons that would cause it to close. At least not by pushing and releasing. Your travel limits may be all wacko now.

Forcing it to close from the wall button is just holding the button instead of tapping it, it should start moving immediately.

Have you tried operating it with the door disconnected?

Do you have a manual? Here's a link just in case. Online Product Support: ReliaG 600 | Genie Garage Door Openers

Old 03-14-17, 05:23 AM
J
I am talking about the buttons on the opener itself that you use to manually adjust the door in order to set the limits. Pressing and holding those buttons in either direction will open and close the door without issue.

I currently have the opener disconnected and am opening and closing the door manually, its running smoothly.

Old 03-14-17, 05:53 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Check that the wall switch hasn't accidentally been put into "lock" mode.

Old 03-14-17, 06:29 AM
J
Hi There, there is no lock mode on the wall switch, it's just a simple one-button deal, like a doorbell.

Old 03-14-17, 09:04 AM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
Just to eliminate an failure mode, if you disconnect the photo eye does it do anything different?

My opener a Chamberlin, will also allow me to open/close while making adjustments to force and limits at the ceiling unit.