Garage Door Liftmaster issue. Please help.

Old 03-27-17, 06:20 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Liftmaster issue. Please help.

I have an Liftmaster 41A431506D (made in 1999) and it is giving me issues.

At first it wouldn't close fully, the door would basically reopen as soon as it hit the ground. I adjusted the chain as it seemed somewhat loose and adjusting the limit switches (down limit switch) did the trick. I opened closed a few times and it was fine.

Next day, the door wouldn't open and upon inspecting, I noticed:
- the trolley had pulled away and gone past the stop limit and alot closer to the stop bolt in the down position.
- instead of open, the door would continue trying to close, hit the max stop bolt and come back slightly, lights would ficker a few times.
- i tried adjusting the down limit switch to no avail.
- i opened the box and noticed that the limit switch blade was touching the down limit, and yet it was still not opening the door.
- the chain had become very very lose on one side and extremely tight on the other.
- i disconnected the chain which took a bit of work since it was stuck on the metal gear, removed the unit and noticed that the bushings on the metal gear were completely gone. the metal gear had play on it, it can move back and forth about half an inch in both directions. i also notice that since the metal gear and shaft has play, the limit switch small plastic gear is also not snug against the up and down limit switch gears.
- the transmitter and receiving sensors are fine.
- there are no mechanical obstruction in the door, rails, etc, as it opens and closes smoothly.

I did inspect the motherboard and it appears to be fine, with no obvious signs of loose or burnt components.

I am tempted to get one of the work gear kits and replace the top gear bushing and the plastic gear pieces, but I have a feeling that the limit switch control circuit maybe gone.

Instead of spending the $90 on a control board and $30 on a gear kit, I rather just install a new garage opener. However, I wanted to ask you guys for your opinions, in case I am missing something simple enough that you may want me to try before I replace this.

Your comments would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-17, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just replace the gears...all of them. Get the full kit as IIRC some only have one gear. Why do just part of the job. Should be able to find it for about $25 max online. Not sure exactly which one you need though. That looks like a part number, not a model number. Oh and I see yer in CAN, your price is probably right.

Old 03-27-17, 07:31 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing the gears would solve the bushing and gears, however, this does not account for why the door is reversing/closing when it should be opening.

Since the limit switch metal contact is physically touching the down limit contact, the door should try to open instead of reversing/closing and hitting the down stop bolt. This indicates to me that the limit switch issue (perhaps control board issue), is still unaccounted for? Am I correct?

Last edited by vikas2k; 03-27-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Been a while since I messed with this type. Aren't the limit contacts just a couple of brass fingers that pushed together, not an actual switch? I've had Genies with external limit switches that just get a little dirty. Clean then, burnish them, and all is good. I can't find your exact model, but I'll look a bit deeper.

Old 03-30-17, 03:34 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
18 year old opener... my advice buy a new one it doesn't owe you anything, it's just like any other appliance they wear out.