Craftsman garage door intermittently not working

Old 03-28-17, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman garage door intermittently not working

I have a Craftsman model #139.53985DM garage door opener that I installed 6 years ago. It has been working flawlessly until about 2 months ago. Since then, it will only intermittently work (open/close). It's very odd, as the door will sometimes work for several days before it acts up.

We mainly use our remotes to open the door, so I initially thought it was maybe the batteries in them (which I have since replaced). We've had times where the remotes won't open the door at all. I then go inside the house and when I get in the garage, the lights on the garage door opener are both on, which usually means the door was just operating. I have had times when I then press the hard wired button on the wall and the door will not open unless I press it multiple times. I can always get the door to open or close with the wired button eventually. We've also had times where the remote does work and the door will start to open (or close) and then stops a foot off the ground. This scenario also has happened with the hard wired button. It's very odd. One time (and only one time), I did notice that the light next to the 'learn' button was blinking 5 times. This has not happened since.

Things I've done/tried:
1) disconnected door from opener and manually moved the door to make sure it moves freely without obstruction. It does move without issue and I do not see or feel any obstruction.

2) disconnected power from opener and plugged back in after several minutes to "reset" it.

3) both springs on this door are working properly and not broken (I had them both replaced about 7 years ago when one of them snapped).

4) I did pull the side off the motor and checked the board for bad solder joints, but did not remove it completely to check the other side of the board. From what I can see (without removing the board), it looks good.

5) The chain had too much slack in it, so I adjusted it.

I'm at a loss here. We do have fluctuating temperatures here where I live, but I haven't been able to rule out extreme temperature differences as the culprit. Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to have to buy a new garage opener since this one is only just over 6 years old.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-17, 03:28 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
sounds like you have multiple problems... possible faulty circuit board loosing power, could be the outlet is bad could be bad board. If your chain was really loose then the top bushing could be worn and will need to be replaced. What are the force dials set on? Remotes not working could be interference from other electronics like lights wall chargers ect...

Old 03-30-17, 05:11 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Doorman is probably correct in his diagnosis. But did you try to calibrate and/or re align (can't think of the proper term) the remote with the head unit. Using the green button and pressing the remote at the same time? I need to do this about once or twice a year.

Old 04-01-17, 07:43 PM
Thank you both for your reply. After a few months of frustration with this, I finally decided to just replace the whole unit. Since I replaced the old one, I took it apart and removed the logic board. I noticed a small charred spot under the R1 resistor and it smells like burnt electronics in that general area. This explains the erratic behavior that my opener was doing. Given that this logic board is around $120, replacing the whole unit was a better option in the long run. I reluctantly bought another Craftsman, but a better model this time.

Old 04-01-17, 07:47 PM
It's hard to see with the shadow, but there is some burnt marks around the resistor in this picture.

Name:  20170401_191324.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  48.9 KB