Problem with Genie Excelerator garage door opener

Old 04-19-17, 06:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with Genie Excelerator garage door opener

I have a Genie Excelerator 1/2 HP model ISD 1000 garage door opener and yesterday it started not going up all the way. Using either the wall button or the remote, it will go up anywhere from a foot to 4 feet and stop and the light turns off. If you hit the button again it will continue up for a couple feet and stop and light turns off, you can keep doing this cycle until it's all the way open.
When closing it does the same thing.
When it turns off the motor head clicks.
If I disconnect the door from the drive the door moves up and down easy by hand and if I try to use the opener without the door attached the same results, it will cut off and lights go out.
There is no blinking error code, when hitting the button to start it green light flashes, when it cuts off green light flashes like with normal operation.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-17, 07:07 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I believe that is a screw drive unit. First thing I would check is for hardened or dried out lube and or dirt on the screw The threads can get packed in with grime and that impedes the trolley. Screw should be free of dirt and lightly lubed. Make sure to check the trolley for dirt and crud as well.

Then you should try resetting the up and down force adjustments per the manual.

Old 04-19-17, 07:36 AM
D
Yes, it is a screw drive. After checking both where the door connects and where the power unit connects for dried up lube, the door went up all the way very very slowly and then about half way down very slow before cutting off, then there was no response from the unit. I unplugged it and when I plugged it back in the door only moves about an inch before cutting off. I can hit the button over and over and over to slowly move it. If I unhook the door from the screw drive it does the same thing.
Drive wouldn't work long enough to adjust the force adjustments and made no difference whether on the lo or hi setting.

Old 04-19-17, 08:50 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you looked at the status LEDs (under the lens cover) to see if you are getting any blink codes?

Here's a link to the manual if you need to reference it:

http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...ft-install.pdf

Old 04-19-17, 09:32 AM
D
I'm really not sure what I'm looking for, here's a couple videos when trying to open the door. Each click is after I hit the button to open it.

https://youtu.be/VEmdhDOX-to Without Lights
https://youtu.be/BEckP8ztBew With Lights