Removing Gazebo roof intact for re-use...how to do it?

Old 04-22-17, 09:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Gazebo roof intact for re-use...how to do it?

Hey All. I have a gazebo roof (good condition, shingled) that I need to basically lift off the posts and set it down so I can replace the posts. Then, I'll need to pick it up and lower it back down onto the new posts.

Other than renting a boom lift or something, which I don't really want to spend the money for, is there another way to lift that roof off while I replace the posts?

Anybody used some creative "ingenuity" to solve a similar problem safely? Other option is to tear it off and re-build it but that's more work and the thing is in prime shape. Thanks folks!

Name:  IMG_8338.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  50.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-17, 09:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
From flat to flat..... how wide is the roof?

Old 04-22-17, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
I'd temporarily support the roof and then replace the posts although the way it's leaning will complicate things.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 04-22-17, 09:19 AM
B
Thanks! I figured I could do something like that. Put in 4-5 temporary posts and lift it on there while I replace the permanent ones. But one good wind storm, and....know what I mean?

Thanks for the welcome!

Old 04-22-17, 09:22 AM
B
If I had to estimate, it's 10'-12'. We're in the process of purchasing the house and the owners can't fix the gazebo before we move in and It isn't safe in my mind.

Old 04-22-17, 10:06 AM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
How about structures on 2 sides with beams across, that way you can reposition the roof back to where it needs to be.

How heavy do you think that roof is, 1000#?

Old 04-22-17, 02:21 PM
Are you changing just the posts or the entire deck structure?
If you're not changing the deck joists they might be able to support a temporary wall(s).
That's how a load bearing wall is removed in a house.
The temporary wall would be ballooned framed to match the pitch of the rafters and the rafters can be allowed to cantilever over the wall to give you room to work.
If you are just replacing the posts the roof shouldn't need raised, only supported.
The temp walls will let you change one or two posts at a time.

If you want to suspend the roof and remove all the posts I would surround it with 4 walls.
The walls would be used to support semi-large beams. You could run the beams from wall to wall and support the roof with balloon framing above the beams.

I'm thinking something like this but the double top plate would be your beams:

Name:  balloontruss.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 04-22-17, 04:37 PM
B
I think that makes sense. I think some easy temp walls would potentially be the way to go. Thanks!

Old 04-22-17, 04:40 PM
B
800-1000# probably. I could build a kind of scaffolding with 2x10's or something connected to 4.x4's or 4x6 posts.

Old 04-23-17, 10:36 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I think you have bigger problems than that. Those posts do not go all the way through the deck and into footings. They are sitting ON the deck. There also is not adequate cross supports to prevent it from torquing the way that it did. Simply replacing those posts will not solve your problem.

Old 04-23-17, 02:50 PM
H
Received 88 Votes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerCraft44
Other than renting a boom lift or something, which I don't really want to spend the money for, is there another way to lift that roof off while I replace the posts?
I'd go with several pump-jacks/scaffold jacks around the perimeter,
lift the six sided roof just like you'd lift six sections of scaffold.

Get standard eight foot 2x4's, cut a four foot section, then overlap regular eight foot sections to create as tall a 4x4 post as you need.

Use a post hole digger, set the overlapped 2x4's a few feet below ground, then backfill. Cross brace extensively with wood.

IIRC these jacks are usually rated around 500 lbs, so 4 to 6 should be sufficient.
My local tool rental place rents them for $6 per day.

Last edited by Hal_S; 04-23-17 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I tried to make a visual using Paint and your picture, but it looked goofy. 6x6 beams in two places with 6x6 posts on substantial temporary footings, braced off with 2x lumber and stakes will hold it steady.

Cut everything below it off and let it sit on the post and beams. Rebuild from the ground up starting with 12" x 12" deep (Texas frost line) concrete footers with post bases installed. Install posts, bracing then set your roof down and build the floor system.

Or rent a crane twice. Once to remove it and set it in the yard, and once to set it back on the new structure. May be cheaper.

Old 04-23-17, 04:34 PM
Here is the issue. You can clearly see that the posts do not go down to footers, they are merely sitting on top of the deck. This is literally a house of cards. Two strong guys could probably push this structure over. There is no lateral support at all. Just changing out the posts will do nothing for the structural integrity of the gazebo. Like Larry said, it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, regardless of how nice you feel the roof is.

Name:  gazeb.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  43.5 KB

Old 04-23-17, 05:03 PM
H
Received 88 Votes on 78 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to agree, you'll want to put up 2 kinds of bracing ASAP.

First, diagonal poles from the roof to the ground - similar to what you see when somebody replaces the posts on a front porch. You want to keep this roof from moving or racking any further.
Second, I'd add diagonal braces top left to bottom right in the near and far middle bays.Name:  IMG_8338.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  44.9 KB

Old 04-28-17, 02:19 PM
B
Thanks for all the replies, everybody. We're supposed to close on the place in a couple of weeks so once I can get in there, I can inspect a bit closer and see which path I want to take. I totally agree that the execution of the build in the first place was really sub-par since the posts are just attached to the deck/floor and don't even go down to the ground. Not sure why it was done that way. At this point, after all the tool, scaffolding, lifts, etc. I'd have to rent, I'm considering a complete re-build from the ground up. Gives me the chance to build it right so I am not re-doing all of this again a year from now or after the next wind storm! I appreciate all the advice, folks! Cheers!

Old 04-29-17, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
Not sure why it was done that way.
Because whoever built it didn't know what they were doing, might have thought they knew but .....

I agree a complete rebuild would be best

Old 04-29-17, 06:04 AM
I'd love to grab a beer and watch you push it over.

Old 04-29-17, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Just looking at the structure makes me cringe.
If you are seriously thinking of trying to block up the roof you had better be on your game.
Although this is a DIY forum it is something that only someone with solid experience should attempt.

Honestly, the cost of making a new roof is not worth what could happen.
If you decide to pull it all down a rope on two of the supports attached to a truck would make a good video.

Old 05-05-17, 05:41 PM
B
Sure would like to meet the previous owners who built it. What the heck where they thinking? I've seen Lego buildings that looked more secure.

Old 05-05-17, 05:46 PM
B
I just might YouTube that event!