Continuous flashing light on Craftsman opener - won't shut

Old 05-04-17, 06:26 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Continuous flashing light on Craftsman opener - won't shut

My garage door won't close. It is a Craftsman 1/2hp unit. Started to shut then jumps back with blinking light bulb. The green transmitter light on the ceiling unit is blinking continuously every 8 seconds.

I checked the sensors and they seem to be aligned. One is lit green. The other appears to be very very faintly lit - not sure if it had always been that way. But the things are pointed right at each other and I wiped off the lenses.

We had a massive lightning strike a few doors down early yesterday morning. It messed up some of my AV equipment. So I'm thinking it might have killed one of my door sensors too?

The reason I think it might be the door sensor is that after the strike, the door did open that day just fine. It was only when I went to close it that the problem occurred. That, and the fact that the sensor light is only very faintly illuminated. The lights for my other three sensors (i have two doors) are all solid bright green. Anybody know what a continuously flashing transmitter button the ceiling opener means? Bad sensor?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-17, 06:50 AM
M
Also, I tried unplugging the unit for a few minutes, but upon plugging it back in the slow flashing green LED continues. I have tried googling this and I'm not finding any results. A bunch of stuff about flashing light on the door button (not my issue) or a certain sequence of flashes to denote a problem (also not my issue). The green LED on the back of the opener is slowly and continuously flashing every 8 seconds or so. Any ideas?

Old 05-05-17, 08:05 AM
M
The problem was easy enough to troubleshoot. I was able to shut the door by just holding down the wall button. Didn't know you could bypass the photo sensors by doing that.

So for anyone else who ever has the slow steady flashing transmitter light on the ceiling unit, it means bad photo sensor. Likely damaged by the recent lightning strike. It was easy enough to swap out by just buying a new replacement set from Chamberlain and splicing them to the existing wires with wire nuts.

The lightning also fried a few HDMI ports in my AV setup. Everything was plugged into a surge protector but I'm guessing it came in through the coax TV cable. Could be worse - it punched a hole in my neighbor's roof, started a fire, and torched all the electrical.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last of the damage to be discovered. My irrigation controller got zapped at my last house - I hear those are particularly susceptible to lightning damage. My current one still has the display on but I haven't actually run it yet to test....

Old 05-05-17, 08:43 AM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Glad you were able to solve the problem. I was going first suggest that you re-align the transmitter with the receiver by pressing both the green button and transmitter at the same time. I often need to do that. But I also was ready to suggest the bad sensors. I also had a similar problem. Thanks for your problem and solution.

Old 05-05-17, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
Whenever the door only closes a foot, reopens and the courtesy light blinks... it's a sensor problem. Holding the button in bypasses the sensor system and the door closes.