Garage door won't stay closed but won't stay open

Old 05-04-17, 09:11 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door won't stay closed but won't stay open

Hi everyone. New to the forum.

I've been procrastinating, but I've been meaning to take a look at my garage door. During the last storm of the season, the power was out, so i had to pull the emergency release on my Liftmaster Elite series opener. Manual mode worked great, but when I pulled the emergency release again, it wouldn't re-engage.

In the meantime I've been manually opening and closing because the weather has been nicer and I haven't been going in and out of the garage alot. But now all of a sudden when I try to manually open or close the garage, it just tries to stay at about 25 percent open. If I push it all the way down without locking it, it just rises to 25%. If I pull it open as high as I can, it falls down to 25% but not all the way closed.

How can I fix it? And how can I get it to re-engage the emergency release?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-17, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If you look up at the carriage you will see that by pulling on the release cable you have it in the "locked open" mode. Pull the cord at a slight angle to put it back in the captive mode and then operate the door as normal. It will catch the trolley automatically.

Old 05-05-17, 05:42 AM
X
Thanks for responding.

There's no need on this one to pull at an angle, straight down engages it. We actually have two of the same garage doors, and on the other one all I have to do to re-engage it is pull straight down a second time and I hear an audible click.

Old 05-05-17, 04:50 PM
Which "elite" model do you have?

Old 05-08-17, 06:04 AM
X
I have the 8500 Elite Series model

Old 05-08-17, 01:45 PM
From Liftmaster:

"To reconnect the door to the opener

For an opener with a square rail - pull the emergency release handle back toward the opener at an angle so that the trolley release arm is horizontal. The trolley will reconnect with the next operation, either manually or by activating the door.

For openers with a T-rail - pull the handle straight down. The trolley will reconnect the next time the door is activated.

For the residential jackshaft opener - pull the emergency release handle straight down a second time until you hear a click. The door will reconnect on the next up or down operation."

Old 05-08-17, 02:14 PM
X
Ok, just to humor you I ended up trying every angle again, and this time (even though I did the same thing as I've tried a bunch of times) it worked. It is re-engaged and works.

BUT. There's still an issue. In manual mode the garage door does not stay all the way up or down. It stays at about 25% up. I attached a picture. Is this miscoiling of the wire why? And how do I fix this?Name:  IMG_20170508_171045.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  41.6 KB

Old 05-08-17, 02:20 PM
Sometimes we just have to give it that "one more try". Glad it works. Your cable does seem to be a little wonky on the take up spool. It may require tightening of the left spring to equalize it to the right one. This, however, is NOT a DIY project. You can get hurt seriously if the spring decides to attack you. Have a professional look at it just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-09-17, 03:16 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
As Chandler said, your cable is off the high taper and needs to be set right for proper door operation. My opinion is call a door co. there is a reason that cable is off and it should be addressed

Old 05-20-17, 04:52 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You're cable is off the high spirals on the drums. this will cause what you describe. You will want a professional to fix it, springs and cables have a lot of tension.

I guess that was already determined.