Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

sears craftsmen garage door not working

NY

05-04-17, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)  
sears craftsmen garage door not working

My sears 1/2 hp chain type garage door stopped working. I took the chain off the sprocket, thinking it may have binded against something. I had this before. It still hummed. 2 short humms, when there was not a chain attached. it then worked for a split second when I tried a few times. then back to the 2 humms. The plastic gears, (which I have replaced in the one next to it, seemed a bit worn, but ok. The cover was off, so I saw nothing turning when it hummed. I did unplug and plug back. The board looked ok, but being in denial about needing glasses, that means nothing. Could it be the big capacitor or resistor I see? thanks for your help. Luckily it is the garage we don't use, which is probably why it lasted 30 years. The garage door, when just manually lifted, does weigh over the suggested 10-20 lbs, which may have been a factor.

Sponsored Links

NY

05-17-17, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)  
I replaced the capacitor thinking I was hearing the motor try to start. It still does the same thing. Press the button and it sounds like it trys to start twice, then nothing. 2 quick hums and that is it. Sounds like either the board or motor. Which is easier to test?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-17-17, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Not sure in your case, but it does appear the weight of the door may have caused the motor to either bind up or burn up. I would have the springs adjusted to bring the door to within the parameters required by the GDO. How old is the opener? If it has age on it, you may have to decide between throwing money at this one, or just replacing it.

NY

05-24-17, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Garage door opener broken

Yes the weight is probably the problem since it is probably 40lbs with springs. It is 29 years old and I replaced gears 5 years ago. Motor does turn freely and I did inspect the board for anything burnt. I tried without any load by disconnecting chain. Moved once a 1/4" and stopped.
Will buy a new opener if it doesn't work after putting back electric board.
Thanks.

Search this Thread