Removing old style garage door lock

Old 05-26-17, 06:54 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing old style garage door lock

So I'm in a house built in the early 60's and the garage door needed a lot of fixing.

It uses the original door and hardware, which is an old style t handle lock, which turns a pair of arms to lock the door.

Because the backing plate is loose, the handle jiggles precariously and I want to take it apart and tighten it up.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the inner handle off- it seems to be held in my a pop rivet type thingy, which I have drilled out, a bit oversize since after drilling out the ends a punch and hammer wouldn't remove it.

I've also doused everything in PB Blaster thinking maybe it was stuck on there from age.

I can't get to the backing plate to tighten the screws without getting this part of the hardware out of the way.

Every diagram I've seen online shows this pop rivet style pin being all that holds the handle on- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-17, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
I have only seen a set screw or rivet used to hold the handle onto a square shaft. The burr from drilling may be holding it in place but a bit of prying should get it to slide off if you did in fact get the rivet removed.

Old 05-26-17, 05:16 PM
J
Thank you, I will do a bit of prying, hopefully that will do the trick, so much in this house needs attention and everything seems to be flathead screwheads. Ugh, these older houses!

Old 05-26-17, 06:16 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
You have an old style rotted out wooden door why not just have it replaced with a new steel door so there's no more issues?

Old 05-27-17, 08:22 AM
J
Personal preference. I'm looking to keep this one, so "Just put up a new door" doesn't really address anything.

Old 05-27-17, 02:42 PM
J
@Pilot Dane,

Thanks for your help man, I had drilled through as you suggested but once I did some prying against it, the burr you hypothesized was clearly visible in the orifice.

I removed it and the handle came off in my hand like a shot.

I then removed the locking arm assembly and tightened the bolts, reinstalled everything and it works better than new with a bit of axle grease on some parts and some white lithium grease on others

Thanks so much for your help, this house has lots of bugabooos that need fixing so I'll be back in the forums soon enough

-Jim

Old 05-28-17, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
When reassembling I either tap the hole in the square shaft to accept a small screw or I put the handle on and drill all the way through and use a cotter pin.

Old 05-28-17, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
When reassembling I either tap the hole in the square shaft to accept a small screw or I put the handle on and drill all the way through and use a cotter pin.
Same here, only I'm lazy and use a thread cutting screw or all the way and a cotter pin as you said.

Old 05-29-17, 07:25 AM
J
Excellent suggestions, fellas, thanks so much for your help.

It appears that during the drilling process I damaged the square shaft so I'll be adding a new one soon.

In the meantime, I've got screws that thread i perfectly with nuts to hold them on and they don't protrude so you don't bust your knuckles every time you open the garage door, lol.

The lock won't be used much from now on anyway as I'm replacing the electric door opener (which is old enough Sears no longer makes replacement gear sets).

Thanks again to all for the help, I've been working on a bunch of around the house/ car projects and I just couldn't fathom why that t handle wouldn't let go- nice to know this website is here to help