weird garage door issue- cable comes off when operating manually.

Old 05-28-17, 02:26 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weird garage door issue- cable comes off when operating manually.

I have a big 18' garage door, currently the motor isnt working so i am operating it manually and the cable came off the spool. Thats not surprising, but what is surprising is this happend after years of successful operation using the motor to open it. When we first bought the house we were opening it manually but that started leading to the cable popping off. After we switched to using the motor it was fine ever since. Is there some reason the larger doors can't/shouldn't be opened manually? or is there something wrong with our tracks or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 02:46 PM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
When you open the door manually are you slowly raising it up in a steady manner or do you let it go up quickly? Is the cable taut compared to the other side. I'm assuming only one side is slipping off. Is the door properly balanced? Both cables should be the same tautness. Or if put another way both should carry the same load. The opener may be carrying the full load and that might be why it does not fall off when it's being used. Other experts will chime in soon.

Old 05-29-17, 03:42 AM
F
yeah i was very careful to slowly and gently raise and lower it from the middle. the last person to mess with it before it failed yesterday was a professional so it 'should' have been properly balance etc.

Old 05-29-17, 04:53 AM
yesterday was a professional so it 'should' have been properly balance etc.
Until the experts offer assistance, try doing the balance test. Raise door manually half way it should be easy with one hand. It should stay in position when you let go. Does the spool look damaged? Is the cable frayed or kinked? Are both cables evenly taut?

Send some pics, both close up and full view from a distance.

Old 05-29-17, 04:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Old 05-29-17, 05:44 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Have someone open the door slowly and watch the pulley to see if it's turning freely.

Old 05-29-17, 06:16 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I s your operator a drawbar (pulls the door by an arm from the center)?
Or is it a jackshaft (lifts by turning the shaft that holds the springs)?
If it is a jack shaft and the door is heavy lifting the springs may not have enough tension to keep the cables tight when the door is open. If the door is light coming off the floor and gets heavy at the top, it has the wrong springs. You would be surprised how many doors have the wrong springs.

DG

Old 05-29-17, 07:00 AM
F
thanks for the responses! it opens and closes smoothly, stays up when its half way, the spools and everything looks fine. i watched the pulley as my wife opened and closed it. it has a draw bar attached to the top of the door. Everything seems fine, i just know that if i keep opening and closing it manually it will pop off. i always notice it happened while trying to close it if that matters.

Name:  g door.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  g door 1.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  g door 2.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  35.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-29-17 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added 2 expanded pics from original
Old 05-29-17, 10:21 AM
What I don't understand is why it happens when operated manually vs via the operator. Joe mentioned something interesting. Is the spool/pulley tight on the shaft? Are both cables the same size? It should not matter but! Just answer one more question. Do both cables appear to have the same tautness when door is closed?

Old 05-29-17, 11:05 AM
F
using my uncalibrated fingers, both cables seem to have the same tensions. both cables the same size. ill check on the pully being tight on the shaft later

Old 05-31-17, 03:25 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For a cable to come off while closing the door manually, the door has to catch on one side(the side with the cable off). You have Napoleon track it has a problem sometimes with single spring doors. The spring pushes the shaft one way. this is normal with every single spring door. the problem is some springs push real hard and the bearing plate bends out. this causes the drum(spool) to rub on the plate or the steel attached to the wall behind it.
Using the door manually would not be worse than using he operator, unless you are pushing it up higher when manually operated.
I can't tell from the pics if it has one or two springs.
DG