slippery garage floor in winter

Old 05-30-17, 10:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
slippery garage floor in winter

We live in a snowy part of the country and our 1997 garage floor turns into an ice skating rink when wet/ cold. Suggestions for an inexpensive remedy? I've looked into epoxy/ acrylic/ garage paint with some sort of friction additive, mats, carpets, interlocking garage tiles, etc.

I searched the forums but didn't find a previous answer. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-17, 11:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
You might try washing the concrete with a diluted solution of muratic acid to open up the pores some. The anti-skid additives for paint work great at first but they do wear away with traffic.

Old 05-30-17, 11:47 AM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
After I had my garage epoxy coated last year, even with silica and LOTS of vinyl flakes it was like a fall waiting to happen.

Found a place near me that sells used floor runners/mats.

Various conditions but the good 3x10 ones were only $6 so I bought 5, problem solved, except the neighbors must think I'm nuts vacuuming out the garage once a week.

Old 05-30-17, 01:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Likewise, I don't think it is so much the floor surface as it is the weather in general. Anything will have the propensity to frost over in a cold climate where there is no heat to counter it. Maybe the waffle type mats Marq1 mentioned or similar would help in foot traffic areas.

Old 05-30-17, 04:25 PM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
it was like a fall waiting to happen.
Need to clarify, when dry the floor is good, when wet, that's when it's slick.

The mats get you from the garage door to the landing without having to step on the floor. Last winter I laid them across the inside of the garage door.

Also I must confess, we dont park in the garage. With all the cars, tractors, & workshop it's not getting used like most garages so the runners work great for us.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 05-31-17, 09:32 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. We live in Maine. Last winter after the wife, the kids and the nanny took diggers walking through the garage I ended up putting down an outdoor rug runner that the previous owner left. No one slipped on the slush filled rug although some tried to trip on the edges. It also adds a slight amount of cushion between one's hip and the concrete. And if the cars aren't in the garage the kids undoubtedly run around on the concrete. I was hoping for a more permanent solution but perhaps my best bet will be a couple of large outdoor rugs.