garage door panel popping when going up (not in the center)

Old 06-05-17, 04:17 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door panel popping when going up (not in the center)

I have been trying to situate this issue for a while now and fixed one issue just to have another. I have a 16ft wide standard height garage door that keeps binding on the left side if your in the garage looking out. It use to be the second and third panel from the bottom would catch each other and POP when they were transitioning from the vertical track to the horizontal one. I put some 10ft struts across the door in the center and immediately the popping went away and all was good. After a few days now the popping is back only its between the first and second panel from the bottom now, same side.

So far what I have done to try and correct.
- Re-level door (unwind torsion springs and re-set cable tension)
- measured tracks to make sure they were all same distance
- Adjusted tracks vertically using a level
- centered the garage door opener track with belt ( wasn't in line with center of door before.
- Lubed all rollers and cables

The door sits perfectly level when down however no matter how many times I have verified it being level I noticed when the door is in the up position the cable tension on the side that's binding has more than the other side. Not much but enough to feel it when touching the cables.

Only other thing I can think of besides the cables still is the tracks need to come away from the opening a tad to allow more movement maybe so the panel can push out more when making the transition from the vertical track to horizontal. Is there a rule of thumb how much room the door panels should have when closed to the wall? Running out of ideas with this.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-17, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 640 Votes on 592 Posts
Have you measured to see if the horizontal arm portion of the tracks are square? Hook a tape measure on the end of the track farthest from the doors and measure diagonally to the point where the curve meets the vertical track. Then check the other diagonal. Those measurements should be the same... if they arent, the door will want to rack a little as it goes up. You could also ensure that the door is level when raised... and that your tracks are level side to side... in other words, if the door is level when it's open and closed, the tracks will probably be level too.

But I think it might be an out of square issue. If not, make a video and post a link to it here.

Old 06-05-17, 04:35 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does it do it if you open/close the door manually? That might help you see what is happening.

Is the jack shaft level? Are the two winding pulleys lined up (meaning the set screws are nearly the same spot on each side). Are the pulleys the same distance from the edge of the door on both sides?

If you have adjustable tracks, the outside of the door should be about flush with the inside wall when the door is closed.

Make sure the joints in the track are lined up as well as possible so there isn't a bump for the roller to ride over.

Old 06-05-17, 04:39 PM
F
I will check what has been listed above and see what answers I can provide. I believe it has to be something out of square as well but I will re-measure again and see what I get. Thanks so far.

Yes it does do it manually as well.

Last edited by fox_forma; 06-05-17 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 11:23 AM
F
XSleeper: The horizontal arms seem to be the culprit. There is a 1.5" difference from the ends to the curve. I tried to square everything up to the vertical tracks but still off when it comes to the horizontal runs. When manually opening and closing the door the door shifts to the side that binding. Do I need to adjust each track towards that side .75" to square it? Oddly enough when the door is up or down it reads level across the top as well.

Carbidetipper: What is a jack shaft you mention? When the door is down the pulleys are all the same distance from the vertical tracks so it has to be the horizontal ones causing the issues. Joints are lined up so smooth transition.

Old 06-06-17, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 640 Votes on 592 Posts
Yes, if its 1 1/2" out of square, and the tracks are parallel, both sides would need to shift 3/4".

Old 06-07-17, 11:13 PM
F
made some more adjustments and its better but still not perfect. Instead of popping is makes a rubbing sound so its not getting hung up on the bottom panel as much. I ordered some new door brackets since the garage door is an Amarr and has side brackets. They look pretty beat up from continuous use so hopefully they solve the last bit of rubbing. Eventually I'll prob have to replace the tracks as they too look pretty beat.