Add-ons, Features for New Garage

Old 06-13-17, 07:49 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Add-ons, Features for New Garage

Looking for advice on things to have installed in a new garage during construction. Things that you wish you would have done in hindsight. It will be a single car attached garage with vaulted ceiling. It will not be insulated at first (only the walls adjacent to the living space). Interior width is only 12' wide x 25' deep, so not a whole lot of room, but it's all I can squeeze on my lot due to a storm drain easement. For instance, considering the ceiling will be vaulted, should I have an attic fan installed to vent the hot air during the summer months? I'll be running a dedicated 12-2 circuit and installing several receptacles where I will be putting a work bench, and I'll be running an airline from my compressor inside the basement through the left side wall to a hose reel. I thought about maybe running water lines to a utility sink, but I may hold off on that. Haven't decided if I'm going to do fluorescent fixtures or recessed lighting. Garage door will be on a high lift track with jack shaft opener. I'll be having a large storage shelf built just behind and above the garage door track that spans the width. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-17, 07:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
A vent fan is a nice idea or simply having a way for the air from the garage to make it into the attic. My garages are insulated and sheet rocked. Unfortunately they're great at trapping in the heat of hot vehicles in the summer. I have a scutty to attic which helps a bit if I open it but what is really needed are vents down low to let cool air enter so the hot air can go out the top.

Most people put lights in the center of the garage. If you like to work on your car a light at the front is nice so it illuminates the engine compartment when the hood is open.

I have a spigot/sillcock in one of my garages. It's nice for washing a car inside during winter.

Old 06-13-17, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Well, since you are a DIY'er:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81927[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 06-13-17, 08:30 AM
M
A vent fan is a nice idea or simply having a way for the air from the garage to make it into the attic. My garages are insulated and sheet rocked. Unfortunately they're great at trapping in the heat of hot vehicles in the summer. I have a scutty to attic which helps a bit if I open it but what is really needed are vents down low to let cool air enter so the hot air can go out the top.
So attic fan up high and a couple intake vents installed down low on the exterior wall? Ones I can manually open/close? I am using scissor trusses so there will only be about a foot of attic space at the middle/peak of the garage. And there will be a ridge vent, so maybe I won't need a fan? I could insulate and sheetrock up to the ridge vent and leave a slot open to the garage below. Natural convection isn't that great though. I like the idea of switching on a fan and my hair standing up from the upward draft

Old 06-13-17, 08:33 AM
M
I wish I had room for a hydraulic lift!!!!

Old 06-13-17, 08:38 AM
M
I could install a gable-mounted fan and just open the windows. Oh yeah, my garage will have two windows on the exterior walls. Those are my intake vents. Duh.

Old 06-13-17, 09:33 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I wish I had room for a hydraulic lift!!!!
If your water table allows you might consider a pit instead of a lift.

Old 06-13-17, 10:15 AM
M
If your water table allows you might consider a pit instead of a lift.
It would, and I considered that, but was discouraged by someone saying the pit would just be a dark, grimy mess.