new shed,plywood floor questions

Old 06-13-17, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new shed,plywood floor questions

im in the process of building a 16x16 foot shed.the floor is treated 3/4 inch plywood,in the midst of installing the floor i realized i did not remember to put any plastic between the floor and the joists.i would like to insulate and heat/cool the space.under the circumstances is this idea viable?or should i leave it uninsulated and unheated and unairconditioned?thanks.btw,i have installed vents in the under floor area as well

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-17, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Shed

The vapor barrier goes on the ground.

Old 06-13-17, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 6 Posts
I cant tell you professionally what to do but I can tell you what my experience was.

I built a 16 X 24 wood frame shop with a 3/4" plywood floor on blocks. I did not put plastic down. I did put a 12,000 BTU air conditioner in there & used a small fish cooker for heat in the winter. I insulated the walls & ceiling. I could not keep the AC on high. I used R-13 rolled pink insulation.

I cant say it was the way it was supposed to be but, mine did fine. I am happy with mine. I'll add that I didn't get mine exactly square so the 24' side had a gap in the corner & I just sprayed some of that expanding foam stuff in those couple of cracks. The 16' sides didn't have any cracks so that was ok. It was only outta square just a hair. I learned a lot building my first real shop 16 years ago.

Old 06-13-17, 07:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Never seen a wood floored shed nor have any of the wood floored houses that I have lived in that had a vapor barrier. Not saying it isn't required in your area just saying I don't see it as a big deal. Sure no vapor barrier on the ground or under the wood floor of the house I have been living in for the last 35 years. Certainly can't say I know of it being a problem. But my opinion and a five dollar bill will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Old 02-02-18, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies,sorry i havent responded in so long.being that im 57 years old these days.im thinking i can get by heating and air conditioning the shed and get away with it before it rots.lol

Old 02-03-18, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
If you are heating/cooling this "shed" you need to construct it like a dwelling.
You need to be sure it isn't sitting on damp ground but in a climate that requires a vapor barrier in a newly constructed house you would need one in your shed as well.
It will prevent moisture/frost accumulation in the walls during cold weather.