Cost for stamped/sealed drawings

Old 06-23-17, 11:16 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Cost for stamped/sealed drawings

The builder I am working with for my single car attached garage addition stated that the county requires stamped/sealed drawings when applying for a building permit. However, I just got off the phone with the county and they said sealed drawings are NOT required for residential additions. Should I be asking the builder for a credit since the architect's stamp/seal was not actually required? I imagine it cost several hundred dollars for the architect to review my drawings. Apparently they do not have an architect in-house because he said he had to schedule one to come in on a certain day to review my drawings. I also heard this is kind of sketchy, because what kind of architect would sign off on drawings he didn't create? It's not a complex addition by any means, but still makes me wonder.

Old 06-23-17, 11:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
If he paid the architect - you owe for it. If he never took it to an architect and charged you for one -you'd be due a refund/credit.

The architect doesn't have to create the plans, just review them.

Old 06-23-17, 12:29 PM
M
I'm sure he did pay an architect, but my issue is that it wasn't required, so why did he do that and why should I pay?

Old 06-23-17, 12:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 868 Upvotes on 759 Posts
He wouldn't have went thru the trouble of getting the plans stamped if he didn't think it was needed. He could have misunderstood what the county required but the bottom line is he said he would do it, you agreed and he did what he said.

Old 06-23-17, 01:43 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If it will help, I agree he may not have needed the architect. But it is in his and your best interest to have home made drawings approved. It also helps with the permit and inspections.

I understand your project is super simple, but if any conflict between your design and the codes arises you have it covered.

Bud

Old 06-23-17, 03:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised the county doesn't require stamped drawings. The drawings can be home made, but an architect usually approves beam sizes and so forth and provides the load calculations.
I would pay the guy for the permit and design.
An example is my city... The city engineers are capable of structural calculations (they are approving the design) but they will not perform or annotate those calculations for you.

The only situation I can think of where you wouldn't require engineering is a Kit Garage, something with trusses and the plans are all spelled out in detail. Pergolas, car ports and patio covers also usually do not require stamps.

Old 06-26-17, 08:28 AM
M
There are no beams shown in the drawings nor are there any notes about beams. I find it hard to believe this is all the county needs to issue a permit. One drawing shows the foundation wall and footings (floor plan view) and then there is a framing floor plan view, but no beams. It points out the headers above the garage door (double 2x12) and windows (double 2x6), but no more.

Old 06-26-17, 08:34 AM
M
He wouldn't have went thru the trouble of getting the plans stamped if he didn't think it was needed. He could have misunderstood what the county required but the bottom line is he said he would do it, you agreed and he did what he said.
I don't doubt he thought it was needed, but it was not. His business is located in a neighboring county and he just assumed it was needed. I feel like he should have known or checked if he wasn't sure. Regardless, I'm glad to know they were sealed by an architect. I would just like to know how much it cost me, which I'll likely never know. I wouldn't think it would be much. It's only three pages and they aren't very detailed drawings (surprisingly).

Old 06-26-17, 01:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I find it hard to believe this is all the county needs to issue a permit
Me too... Are you communicating with your builder? The County might say no stamps are required but that doesn't mean they don't require a full set of drawings. You could ask them for a list of drawings required.
Their job is to approve an architect's calculations and design. In other words they know what the architect knows.
Maybe your county goes above what they do here. Here they only plan check and do not provide info/advise on Beam sizes and detail drawings. They do provide quite a few handouts that are helpful.

My opinion is you can't go wrong if an architect stamped it and the county approved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: