Garage Door Chain too Loose / Long to be Tightened?

Old 07-03-17, 03:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Garage Door Chain too Loose / Long to be Tightened?

Bought a house a year ago and finally got around to becoming frustrated with my garage door opener [a 2014 chamberlain model]. Earlier today I put the chain back onto the sprocket - first time it came off since I moved in - had to disconnect the chain from the trolley to get it back onto the sprocket.

After connecting the chain to the trolley again I noticed that the chain is super loose, i.e. several inches below the t-rail. I think it was always this way since the front of the door has black grime on it from the chain dragging on top of it. I tried to tighten the chain by playing with the position of the inner and outer nut on the trolley threaded shaft, but did not manage to tighten it much.

Way I see it, the trolley threaded shaft mechanism can help tighten the chain, but not nearly enough for the amount of slack I'm dealing with. Is this chain just too long, or am I missing something?

Any help is much appreciated!

Name:  IMG_2641.jpg
Views: 3446
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2640.jpg
Views: 3878
Size:  33.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-17, 04:17 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are the holes where the motor is mounted elongated?

Old 07-03-17, 04:25 PM
S
Not elongated, but there is room for me to mount the opener further back by at least a couple of inches.

Old 07-03-17, 04:35 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's your answer then. Move the motor back.

Old 07-04-17, 10:43 AM
S
Good idea! However, I found a problem. The t-rail is resting on top of the opener and seems to be fastened to it using a single bolt. It does not include the "U" bracket that is shown in the chamberlain installation manual. I won't be able to move the opener back by more than an inch before losing support for the t-rail.

Looks like different parts of the system [door, rails and chain, opener] were replaced at different times and not really set up to work together well.

Seems to leave me with two options:
[1] Shorten the chain
[2] Increase the length of the rail that rests on top of the opener

Any other ideas or advice on how to go about shortening the chain?

Thanks!

Old 07-04-17, 11:50 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Don't think you will get a good result moving the T rail back, you need to shorten the chain. Figure out how many links need to be removed, take the chain off, remove links needed, put chain back on, easy. I would refer you to Youtube for link removal, it would be easier than trying to explain it here. If all that fails maybe a new opener is in your future.

Old 07-04-17, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Dremel tool with a grinding wheel, chain breaker tool maybe (or hammer, vise, and appropriately sized punch), and a master link. Other than actually getting it off the opener, a 10 min job.

Almost looks like someone took the chain off an opener for an 8ft door and installed it on a 7 ft.

Old 07-05-17, 03:18 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
more than likely if your chain is loose, the upper bushing just below the drive sprocket in the gear assembly hasName:  717PDKJOu+L._SX355_.jpg
Views: 2330
Size:  14.9 KB worn out

Old 07-08-17, 10:04 AM
M
I was thinking about a bushing possibly being worn out also but if it truly is a 2014 model that seems like an awful short life span for the bushing.

Old 07-08-17, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Based on the pic of the slack chain, the bushing would have to have worn out into a 6" long slot.

Hey, anyone else notice how the center T-bar seems to be tilted up? That doesn't look right at all.

Old 07-09-17, 10:48 AM
M
Hey, anyone else notice how the center T-bar seems to be tilted up? That doesn't look right at all.
Yes, I noticed that but thought it might be just the angle of the camera. Looking again it actually looks like the T-bar is 2 pieces and that how they are joined may be causing the upward bow. Even then however it does look like that is even enough to cause the amount of slack being seen.

Old 07-09-17, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
No, I don't think that's the issue with the slack chain...just what appears to be another problem. Of course I've never seen a spring loaded arm like in the pics either.